iMessages via iChat

devonair

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
When they first announced iMessages in iOS5, I immediately began hoping that they would expand this to OSX. After all, this messaging platform will work across all iOS devices (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, etc). It would be a natural thing for it to also work on Macs.

I currently use both Google Voice (via browser) and iChat (via AIM to friends who have setup their accounts to forward IM's to their cell phones) to hold text/SMS conversations with my friends while sitting at my computer. In a perfect world (for me, at least), Apple would connect iMessages with the current iChat app. Actually, even better, they would integrate iMessages AND Facetime into iChat... *sigh* one can only hope.

devonair

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
I had assumed (hoped) that it had been; after all, I do remember a TiPB blog post about this very subject. Sadly, searching for the keywords "iMessages" and "iChat" didn't pull up anything. But I do apologize if my poor forum-searching skills were to blame, haha. I don't post in these forums very often. =P

hellomiggy

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
There is a line of code in iChat or in iOS 5, that shows it is going to be possible to communicate, from iChat to iMessage. Read it on BGR, Engadget, and Gizmodo. Search on those sites.

v1nn1e

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Don't apologize, totally legit post. In fairness, trying to search any site with the terms "iMessage" or "iChat" would most certainly bring up 1400 articles on everything except what you were looking for.

That is what message boards are for. Sometimes people act like the police around here.

Reactions: DannyMichel

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
It would be so amazing to have a chat going on both the iPhone and the Mac, and to have Mac users be able to communicate with you on your iPhone even if they don't have/use an iPhone. :)

DannyMichel

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Don't apologize, totally legit post. In fairness, trying to search any site with the terms "iMessage" or "iChat" would most certainly bring up 1400 articles on everything except what you were looking for.

That is what message boards are for. Sometimes people act like the police around here.

you're a hero bro. good man

devonair

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the support, everybody. Sure, like Alli said, this has been "discussed" before -- that is, if you count posting a story about it on the main site (including the mention about the sent/received code being found in the Lion version of iChat). In fact, doing another search on the the actual TiPb blog itself resulted in me finding back MY OWN comments on those very blog posts. *shrug* But I always thought the forums were supposed to be for more back-and-forth discussion. Comments on a blog post don't quite lend themselves to that. Forgive me for geeking out (after all, once upon a time I worked full-time as a network admin), but theorizing and daydreaming about features like these always seemed like half the fun of these types of forums.

@Jellotime91 That's pretty much what I'm hoping for. Plus, as adept as I've gotten at typing on glass, the former Treo/Pre-user in me still prefers typing on physical keys. If I could hold more of my iMessages/SMS conversations via iChat on my Mac, that would make me one very happy iPhone convert.

@TimHewitt I think all of us here are hoping that you have some inside tip that turns out to be true =)

@v1nn1e Haha, thanks for the support, man. Yep, you were right when you recognized the pic. But yah, this is the last place I would have ever expected to get recognized, haha.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlanD