I want to stop using my huge ICloud account 2.99 vs .99 vs free

royandvickie

Jan 12, 2019
Visit site
I read if I stop using the iCloud account I will loose everything in 30 days if I don't download to my iMac. I back up everything to my external hard drive using time machine, My iMac has everything in the iCloud that i can see after checking this morning 1-12-2019. I specifically want to stop using desktop and documents in the iCloud and stop using more icloud memory if necessary to reduce my footprint in the cloud to the smaller tier. I am using an iMac, year mid 2011, running high sierra. with 1tb hard drive and 16 gb of memory.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Go ahead and stop. I didn’t see a question so I’m not sure what else you’re expecting. The files you have on iCloud have already been saved to an external drive so all you have to do is simply contact Apple and tell them that you no longer want to use their non-free iCloud option.

Last edited:

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
For consideration, one benefit from paying for enough iCloud storage space is the option to automatically backup your iPhone.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203977

That really depends on how much information you want to have backed up to iCloud.
The free storage tier in iCloud was enough for my parents’ phones, but I put them both on the 50GB plan because they have tons of photos in iCloud Photo Library.

royandvickie

Jan 12, 2019
Visit site
Thank you all. The question should have been will I loose the information on my iMac if i stop using the iCloud? You are right of course, i made a statement and did not ask a question. The information I read previously, not on this site, stated if I stopped using the larger storage and back up I would loose all my information not only on the cloud but also my iMac and back up drive. I did not believe it, yet, because I am not experienced in the use of the cloud and how files are saved, deleted, and transferred between devices I was and am concerned about loss of data. Yes, I do back up to an external hard drive. Again, thank you so much.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thank you all. The question should have been will I loose the information on my iMac if i stop using the iCloud? You are right of course, i made a statement and did not ask a question. The information I read previously, not on this site, stated if I stopped using the larger storage and back up I would loose all my information not only on the cloud but also my iMac and back up drive. I did not believe it, yet, because I am not experienced in the use of the cloud and how files are saved, deleted, and transferred between devices I was and am concerned about loss of data. Yes, I do back up to an external hard drive. Again, thank you so much.

On behalf of those who responded, you’re very welcome, and thank you for the update.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrytg4