I Iphone will charge from my computer but won't connect

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I have done each and every step but there was no result it didn't work after all..

Not all USB cables are created equal. Are you sure you have a data cable? Is it the original, OR a cable you bought directly from Apple? Also try using a different USB port, if you are using the front ports, try the back, or vice versa. Also reboot both devices the iPhone and the Computer. Try another computer IF you can. :)

starshey

May 26, 2017
Visit site
I have done each and every step but there was no result it didn't work after all..

Same thing with me, I've done every step but nothing will work. I've been stuck on 1.7.2 for a few years now, it's driving me nuts. I just want to transfer files, and be able to download music again :(

Lee_i_More

Aug 5, 2017
Visit site
I have the same problem.

I'm using an iphone 5s, Windows PC

Phone *used* to ask to allow the PC to talk to the phone, and I could view photos on the PC, but it no longer does this.

The phone *does* charge when connected to the computer, so I would be surprised the cable is the issue.

I have read other replies, on this and other pages, and have:
- restarted computer
- restarted phone
- reset network settings on phone (thanks Nicole Villos for your excellent instructions)
- stopped and re-started Apple Mobile Service on PC (thanks Nicole Villos for your excellent instructions)
- updated itunes on phone
- tried different USB ports on PC
- tried different USB cable

Still no luck.

Does anyone have any helpful suggestions?

I'm not a techie, so step by step instructions like Start > Control Panel > xxx > yyy will be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Not sure about the experiences of others, but for me none of my Apple devices are recognized in iTunes on my Windows computer unless I use the charging cable that came with the device. Other USB cables will charge the devices just fine.

Lee_i_More

Aug 5, 2017
Visit site
Thanks Sherry. This was a second hand phone that didn't come with a cable. I've bought two different cables, one of which used to work OK.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Lee,

Since you've tried everything and nothing seems to be working, you can try one last thing before possibly purchasing a new cable directly from Apple. Uninstall and reinstall iTunes. It's possible that a Windows update did something wonky with some iTunes files and now it's interfering with your computers ability to see your phone.

Before you do anything though, I very, very strongly recommend reading through all of these directions at least twice before beginning to uninstall iTunes. There's very specific steps you must follow to completely remove iTunes and all its bits before you can reinstall it again. I can give you one tip; the first time I did this I was worried about losing all of my settings in iTunes, so I took pictures of each page of settings before beginning my uninstall.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204275

I'll keep my fingers crossed that this helps you!

Lee_i_More

Aug 5, 2017
Visit site
SOLVED Thanks for that suggestion, Sherry. I was told via another avenue that Apple changed things a couple of updates ago so that only Apple cables will connect the phone to the PC. Generic cables will charge, but won't enable PC and phone to 'talk' to each other. It would have been nice if Apple had told people this, rather than having them waste time trying to figure out what was wrong. I ended up buying an Apple cable and PC and phone are now talking OK.

Last edited:

Chongshimray

Jan 2, 2018
Visit site
I had similar problem. Initially, it started by asking me whether I trusted the computer whenever I connected my USB cable with phone to charge. Then a message starts popping up saying issue with USB port. I tried EVERYTHING possible. Then finally I went to programs to and repaired everything related to iTunes and apple. I turned of my computer and turned on and hurrah! it all worked normal! Charging, iTunes or data recognition all works fine.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2