How worth it is jailbreaking?

Apocrathia

Sep 17, 2008
Visit site
I got my iPhone 3G about a month ago, I really love the thing. I am a college student, computer science major, though and really not happy with how little interaction with the software level of the phone I have.
Aside from the ability to change the interface (SpringBoard is the term I've been seeing) install apps that apple has banned from the app store, etc. What other major functionality do I get out of my phone? Do I get access to the bsd command line? (That would kick ass actually because I do a LOT of SSH)

What functionality would I lose, as far as official apple services? Can I still sync with iTunes like normally? (Just be weary of updates I'm assuming). Will I be able to download official apps still? MobileMe? (I really dig having mobile me)

I understand that I can just wipe and reload my iPhone, and there wouldn't really be a trace of a jailbreak as long as I didn't unlock. Which I'm an AT&T customer anyways, so I don't need an unlock. (Speaking of which, I read something about 3G service no longer working with jailbroken phones, is this a myth or would I be screwed?)

I have read over the FAQ's and the stickies, I'm trying not to make a completely blindsided first post. But really, is it worth it to you guys to jailbreak?

zarqman

Sep 19, 2008
Visit site
just do it...

Aside from the ability to change the interface (SpringBoard is the term I've been seeing) install apps that apple has banned from the app store, etc. What other major functionality do I get out of my phone? Do I get access to the bsd command line? (That would kick ass actually because I do a LOT of SSH)

Yes you can install openssh and mobileterminal. First gives you access from another computer (ideal as then you get a real keyboard) and the second gives you access on the fly. Of course having openssh also gives you outbound ssh on the fly too. Some of the other commandline utils are separate installs, but there's a fair bit available.

Other interesting apps I've found include a camcorder and a handful of socks proxies for quasi-tethering.

What functionality would I lose, as far as official apple services? Can I still sync with iTunes like normally? (Just be weary of updates I'm assuming). Will I be able to download official apps still? MobileMe? (I really dig having mobile me)

Lose nothing; sync works fine; offical apps are fine. I don't have mobileme, but would guess it's fine.

(Speaking of which, I read something about 3G service no longer working with jailbroken phones, is this a myth or would I be screwed?)

3g works -- as well as it ever does anyway.

I have read over the FAQ's and the stickies, I'm trying not to make a completely blindsided first post. But really, is it worth it to you guys to jailbreak?

Sure, why not? Live on the edge. :)

spsands

Sep 10, 2008
www.twitter.com
I took Zarqmans advice and took the plunge last night. of course, I also had him standing by for tec support. It went really smooth. Im just kinda confused cuz some of the sites have tons and tons of themes and stuff, but cydia and installer dont even have half of them thru the iphone...

but to keep the thread on topic.

Yes, its way worth it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vber