How will this work out?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I am curious about how the Mountain Lion upgrade will work. I recently purchased a new MacBook Pro w retina display. This MBP ships with Lion, but includes a free upgrade to Mountain Lion.

How will the upgrade happen? Specifically, will it come through the Mac App Store like Lion did? Apple has done away with physical/external media for 99.9% of their software, so it would have to come through the Mac App Store, right? If so, will I be able to upgrade my other Macs for free with the same upgrade?

There also appears to be some confusion about the number of Macs that can be updated. Typically, software purchased through the Mac App Store can be installed on up to 5 Macs within the same household under the single purchase/license. But Apple clearly stated that the $19.95 upgrade to Mountain Lion applied to ALL of your Macs...

So my question ultimately is whether I'll be able to upgrade all 4 of my Macs with the freebie ML update. Does anyone have any ideas how this will work? Even if I have to purchase the update for the other Macs, it's not a huge deal, $20 won't break the bank... but to paraphrase Ben Franklin, $20 saved is $20 earned.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
My best guess is the 'free' upgrade will be tied to the single device and will be recorded as being due you as a part of the registration for the device.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy