How will the iPhone 6 affect your current configuration of devices?

williamsbh76

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I currently own a 32GB iPhone 5s, a 64GB iPad Mini Retina with LTE, and use a 15" rMBP daily. I go to work in the morning with my phone in my pocket and my iPad and MBP in my backpack. My phone is with me 100% of the time for pictures, social networking, task management, music, email and phone calls on the go. I am on my MBP all day at work and a good bit at night when I work from home. My iPad mini fits somewhere between. I mainly use it for games, reading, casual internet surfing, some photo editing, watching YouTube, etc. It fits that happy in between of my phone and laptop, especially when I am in a place at work that my phone is just too small and my laptop is too big. My iPhone and iPad are even configured differently because of what I use them for.

Assuming that the rumors are true and we get larger iPhones this year, 4.7" and 5.5", which will you go with and will it affect your iPad purchase or even a laptop purchase? Will it affect how and what you carry with you?

Because I used to have a second phone which was a Galaxy Note 2, I have been dying for iOS on a phablet so I'm pretty sure I will be getting whatever 5.x" device we get, assuming it comes to pass. My MPB is what it is and will not change any time soon. It works it's *** off daily and will continue to do so. The future of my iPad is questionable. When the new iPads rolled in November I originally bought a 64GB iPad 4 with LTE from a friend. I had an aging iPad 3 with too little storage and no LTE. At first I was happy but then starting playing with a friend's retina mini and had to switch. I sometimes long for that bigger display but the mini is so much easier to carry. With a 64GB "iPhablet" in hand, I honestly am considering going back to a full size iPad and would probably consider downgrading it in storage capacity and dropping LTE because I don't see myself carrying it with me that much. It will probably still be in my backpack everyday but just not in hand as much. I will probably game more and do a lot of those other "iPad things" more on my phone.

Just curious if anyone else has given this any thought and what you are planning based on rumors.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
More than likely, the 4.7 inch version, but I will keep an open mind for anything larger, and purchasing one will not affect me purchasing an iPad because I'm currently not in the market to purchase another one....:)

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
I will most likely get the 5.5" version (assuming it even comes out and even comes out on time by the end of the year or beginning of next year). I'll also try to get the iPad Air 2. However, if I have to replace my MBP, then I'll just get the 5.5" version, ditch my iPad Air and iPhone 5s (I'll trade them both in to Apple to recycle and pay the remainder of the difference), or I'll switch to Samsung and get the Galaxy Note 4 by trading in my iPad Air and iPhone 5s to Verizon.

The iPad Air that I have is my first iPad. I had the iPhone 4S (my first smartphone), then the iPhone 5, and now the iPhone 5s. I don't use my iPad Air as much as I thought I would, especially the cellular capability, because I listen to music and watch videos and surf the web on my iPhone the most. I carry my iPhone and iPad with me wherever I go, and my MBP I leave on my desk at home.

Sent from my Space Grey iPhone 5s 64 GB or Space Grey iPad Air 128 GB WiFi + Cellular. Both devices using VZW 4G LTE and running iOS 7.1 .

williamsbh76

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I will most likely get the 5.5" version (assuming it even comes out and even comes out on time by the end of the year or beginning of next year). I'll also try to get the iPad Air 2. However, if I have to replace my MBP, then I'll just get the 5.5" version, ditch my iPad Air and iPhone 5s (I'll trade them both in to Apple to recycle and pay the remainder of the difference), or I'll switch to Samsung and get the Galaxy Note 4 by trading in my iPad Air and iPhone 5s to Verizon.

The iPad Air that I have is my first iPad. I had the iPhone 4S (my first smartphone), then the iPhone 5, and now the iPhone 5s. I don't use my iPad Air as much as I thought I would, especially the cellular capability, because I listen to music and watch videos and surf the web on my iPhone the most. I carry my iPhone and iPad with me wherever I go, and my MBP I leave on my desk at home.

Sent from my Space Grey iPhone 5s 64 GB or Space Grey iPad Air 128 GB WiFi + Cellular. Both devices using VZW 4G LTE and running iOS 7.1 .

If you do decide to get rid of your current iPad when that all comes around let me know. I might be interested or a friend might. I know I said I might step down but I never walk away from a sensible deal. Also don't mind if my iPad is a year or two behind as long as my games and stuff run good.

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
If you do decide to get rid of your current iPad when that all comes around let me know. I might be interested or a friend might. I know I said I might step down but I never walk away from a sensible deal. Also don't mind if my iPad is a year or two behind as long as my games and stuff run good.

I am most likely going to trade in both of my devices in to Apple or Verizon and get a gift card amount towards the final purchases (4.7" or 5.5" iPhone 6 and or iPad Air 2 or just the Galaxy Note 4). I'm mainly focusing on screen size and screen resolution. I'm hoping for the resolution on both the 4.7" and 5.5" version to be HD, if not better.

theromz

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I have a slightly different set up that includes a Nexus 5, iPad Air and 13" rMBP. I won't be getting a 5.5 cause I enjoy using my phone in 1 hand, I think I will move to the 4.7" iPhone and maybe trade my iPad Air for a Android tablet since I mostly watch TV on it and 16:9 is much better then 4:3. My rMBP won't be changing unless its for a newer rMBP as I need a real work horse.

mattjohnson78

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I currently have the iPhone 5s and will be upgrading to the 4.7 inch iPhone 6. I have the iPad Mini Retina with LTE which I have no plans to change. I also have the Microsoft Surface Pro which I will be upgrading to the Surface Pro 3.

iOS for mobility and Windows for productivity

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I was using an iPhone 5, an HTC One and a Galaxy Note 3 up until I broke my iPhone, now i'm just using my HTC and Note.

The HTC is 4.7" and the Note is 5.7". I use the HTC (formerly the iPhone) for personal use and the Note 3 for work.

I will happily exchange all my Android devices for a couple of iPhone 6s, possibly one 4.7" and one 5.5" if Apple go down this route.

At the very least, I will be getting rid of my godawful Note 3 (worst phone decision I ever made) for an iPhone 6.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I seriously do not think they will announce a 5.5" iPhone. Regardless, I will be getting the 4.7" to replace my iPhone 5 when my contract is up. I haven't used my fist generation iPad in ages, so I the 6 won't be replacing anything I do except what I already do on the 5. I have a brand new iMac as well, which will most likely maintain the use it has gotten since. The iPhone is mainly used when I do not have access to the iMac.

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I currently own a 32GB iPhone 5s, a 64GB iPad Mini Retina with LTE, and use a 15" rMBP daily. I go to work in the morning with my phone in my pocket and my iPad and MBP in my backpack. My phone is with me 100% of the time for pictures, social networking, task management, music, email and phone calls on the go. I am on my MBP all day at work and a good bit at night when I work from home. My iPad mini fits somewhere between. I mainly use it for games, reading, casual internet surfing, some photo editing, watching YouTube, etc. It fits that happy in between of my phone and laptop, especially when I am in a place at work that my phone is just too small and my laptop is too big. My iPhone and iPad are even configured differently because of what I use them for.

Assuming that the rumors are true and we get larger iPhones this year, 4.7" and 5.5", which will you go with and will it affect your iPad purchase or even a laptop purchase? Will it affect how and what you carry with you?

Because I used to have a second phone which was a Galaxy Note 2, I have been dying for iOS on a phablet so I'm pretty sure I will be getting whatever 5.x" device we get, assuming it comes to pass. My MPB is what it is and will not change any time soon. It works it's *** off daily and will continue to do so. The future of my iPad is questionable. When the new iPads rolled in November I originally bought a 64GB iPad 4 with LTE from a friend. I had an aging iPad 3 with too little storage and no LTE. At first I was happy but then starting playing with a friend's retina mini and had to switch. I sometimes long for that bigger display but the mini is so much easier to carry. With a 64GB "iPhablet" in hand, I honestly am considering going back to a full size iPad and would probably consider downgrading it in storage capacity and dropping LTE because I don't see myself carrying it with me that much. It will probably still be in my backpack everyday but just not in hand as much. I will probably game more and do a lot of those other "iPad things" more on my phone.

Just curious if anyone else has given this any thought and what you are planning based on rumors.

Agree with OP. I've had the Note 2 and the Note 3. The bigger screen is fantastic, the software isn't. I like Android enough, but I will always like iOS more.

To answer the question, assuming a 5.x" screened iPhone is real, I would get it in the highest capacity possible. I'm seriously hoping a 128gb option will be available this time. As far as my iPads I would like to get a 64gb iPad Air and Mini with Touch ID.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I have had the iPhone 4, 4s, 5, 5S (twice) and while I love the phone and the OS I hate the screen size and battery life. I could care less about the OS its battery life, screen size and storage that are key to me. Apple offers me the 64GB (prefer 128GB like my iPad mini Retina) and screen size is "rumored" to be coming in at 4.7 & 5.5" and then there is battery life, the one thing Apple cannot figure out because they won't actually put one into the phone that is worth anything. Thin isn't beautiful when your beautiful phone can't last a day.

williamsbh76

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I have had the iPhone 4, 4s, 5, 5S (twice) and while I love the phone and the OS I hate the screen size and battery life. I could care less about the OS its battery life, screen size and storage that are key to me. Apple offers me the 64GB (prefer 128GB like my iPad mini Retina) and screen size is "rumored" to be coming in at 4.7 & 5.5" and then there is battery life, the one thing Apple cannot figure out because they won't actually put one into the phone that is worth anything. Thin isn't beautiful when your beautiful phone can't last a day.

Great point! I miss the thickness and weight of the 4/4S. I can only imagine what kind of battery life we would have in the 5/5s. It would definitely make the phone easier to hold for my large hands. The thin mock ups we are seeing for the iPhone 6 don't excite me.

rellyrellz

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
My current set up is a recently purchased iPhone 5s and I've had the iPad Air since release. I catch myself wanting an in between device for my 5s and Air. 5s screen is small and the air I only use at home. So I've been thinking of a rMini. Use the rMini for my entire music library and web surfing .A 4.7 I think I'd still get a rMini for my music and movies. Getting the 5.5" iP6 would take the spot of the 5s/rMini. Hopefully a 32/64/128 is an option.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
well I have a 64gb 5s, a nexus 7, and a macbook pro (non-retina) and in all honesty, I will still keep all of them. I like the added screen size of the rumored iPhone 6, but at night I like using my tablet and will keep it simply for that purpose. This might be the first iPhone I skip on. It seems like the S version they have all the "bugs" worked out and doesn't have as many issues, that and I am pretty happy with my 5S. I definitely won't be an early adopter unless apple really wows me with some feature in the iPhone 6.

Last edited:

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
In a contract with VZW for 2 years just starting in Nov 2013 on a 5s. Very happy and also have an iPad mini retina so I am good and truly love the 5s. I am good to go.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm only about 8 months into my current contract. The iPhone 6 will be a pass but the 6s will probably be a phone I look at very closely.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

Agree. I am worried that once again battery will take a backseat to thinness. It is a shame that rather than stick a large battery in so it easily lasts a day with heavy use, apple goes on the low end. Battery is one thing that i definitely am not a huge fan of on my 5S. That and the radios are pretty weak compared to other phones, and even the iPhone 5.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2