Find My Notification

Philip Fisher

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
I have an AirTag (2.0.36) in my backpack that I carry to/from work. Also, in my backpack is my iPad Pro. When I leave the building and away from my backpack, I will get a notification on my phone 11 (16.3.1) that my iPad was left behind but nothing about my backpack.

In Find My, I have it set to notify me if I leave the backpack behind not the iPad. It is odd that it tells me about the iPad but not the backpack. Obviously, I want to know if both iPad and backpack get separated but I would like to know when the backpack is left behind as well.

I will have to leave my iPad at home one day to see if I get a notification about the backpack being left behind.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Have a look in the Me tab inside the Find My tab if your phone is in the My Location portion. It could be that it's the key to the notification :)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have an AirTag (2.0.36) in my backpack that I carry to/from work. Also, in my backpack is my iPad Pro. When I leave the building and away from my backpack, I will get a notification on my phone 11 (16.3.1) that my iPad was left behind but nothing about my backpack.

In Find My, I have it set to notify me if I leave the backpack behind not the iPad. It is odd that it tells me about the iPad but not the backpack. Obviously, I want to know if both iPad and backpack get separated but I would like to know when the backpack is left behind as well.

I will have to leave my iPad at home one day to see if I get a notification about the backpack being left behind.

Initiate the “Find My” app and then select the “Items” option at the bottom. Select the item and then scroll down to the section labeled, “Notify when left behind”.

Now scroll down to the section labeled, “Notify Me Except At”. Is your home listed therein? If so, you will not be notified if the AirTag is left at that location.

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
Initiate the “Find My” app and then select the “Items” option at the bottom. Select the item and then scroll down to the section labeled, “Notify when left behind”.

Now scroll down to the section labeled, “Notify Me Except At”. Is your home listed therein? If so, you will not be notified if the AirTag is left at that location.

This!

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site

Shabloink!

Philip Fisher

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

If I go to Find My then ME, my phone is listed there and so is my place of work. If I go to ITEMS, my backpack is listed there as well. If I go to "notify when left behind" then my place of work is listed.

I left my iPad at home to see if I leave the building then will I get a notification that I left my backpack behind.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

If I go to Find My then ME, my phone is listed there and so is my place of work. If I go to ITEMS, my backpack is listed there as well. If I go to "notify when left behind" then my place of work is listed.

I left my iPad at home to see if I leave the building then will I get a notification that I left my backpack behind.

Wait. I’m under the impression that the focus was on your Air Tag and that your AirTag is in your backpack. If you left your iPad at home, why would you expect to get a notification regarding your backpack? Did I misread your reply?

Philip Fisher

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
Let me clarify, I have an AirTag that is in my backpack. Also, I carry my iPad Pro in my backpack as well. Usually, I leave my iPad in the backpack, in case, I have to use it. Do you follow?

Usually, I leave my backpack at my desk. After I leave the building to go to another building, I will get a notification that my IPAD PRO has been left behind but not the BACKPACK.

On the contrary, in Find My, there is nothing mentioned about the iPad only the backpack. I have it set to notify me if the BACKPACK is left behind.

Does this help?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Let me clarify, I have an AirTag that is in my backpack. Also, I carry my iPad Pro in my backpack as well. Usually, I leave my iPad in the backpack, in case, I have to use it. Do you follow?

Usually, I leave my backpack at my desk. After I leave the building to go to another building, I will get a notification that my IPAD PRO has been left behind but not the BACKPACK.

On the contrary, in Find My, there is nothing mentioned about the iPad only the backpack. I have it set to notify me if the BACKPACK is left behind.

Does this help?

Is your work or home listed in the section highlighted in red in the attached screenshot? If so, you will not be alerted if your backpack is left behind at those locations.

2e6f5dfdef82855abaa5147c64adf866.jpg

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

Does this help?

Not sure, but it may be that Apple recognizes that both your device and AirTag and together and gives you just one warning. What happens if you leave your backpack behind and carry your iPad with you? Is that a test that you've tried?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234