How to prevent landscape keyboard in landscape mode?

grosado

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
Hello All,

Until yesterday, when I used the keyboard on my iPhone 6 (iOS 8.0.2) in landscape mode, it would just show up the usual keyboard, meaning, the same keyboard as in portrait mode. I did something yesterday and, all of a sudden, now, when in landscape mode, a different keyboard, with cursor keys, mic icon and undo key shows up.

Since I got used to the regular keyboard, this is driving me crazy as I just can't type a sentence correctly...

I already tried locking and unlocking landscape mode in control center, booting the divide and nothing seems to work.

This is not app dependent as it happens in all apps. I do not have any third party keyboard.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Hello All,

Until yesterday, when I used the keyboard on my iPhone 6 (iOS 8.0.2) in landscape mode, it would just show up the usual keyboard, meaning, the same keyboard as in portrait mode. I did something yesterday and, all of a sudden, now, when in landscape mode, a different keyboard, with cursor keys, mic icon and undo key shows up.

Since I got used to the regular keyboard, this is driving me crazy as I just can't type a sentence correctly...

I already tried locking and unlocking landscape mode in control center, booting the divide and nothing seems to work.

This is not app dependent as it happens in all apps. I do not have any third party keyboard.

Thanks.

So what you're saying is that you want the keyboard to remain in portrait when the device is in landscape? I think that's a bug, it wasn't supposed to happen that way originally.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Hello All,

Thanks.

AFAIK, it can’t be done with the Apple iOS keyboard. Because of the larger screen, Apple introduced the modified the keyboard for landscape mode to add additional functionality. You might have better luck using a 3rd party keyboard to accomplish your goal.

Also, I’m curious about why you’re just now getting/seeing that change. It’s been that way on my iPhone 6 Plus since one of the iOS 8 betas. It should have been there all along, in landscape mode.

Last edited:

grosado

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
Thanks to all for the responses.

I realize there is benefit with the additional keys when in landscape but I still prefer the larger keys of the portrait keyboard... just wanted to use it while in landscape...

I am still curious about how that changed but won't lose my sleep over that...

tks!

IMF

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks to all for the responses.

I realize there is benefit with the additional keys when in landscape but I still prefer the larger keys of the portrait keyboard... just wanted to use it while in landscape...

I am still curious about how that changed but won't lose my sleep over that...

tks!

When individual apps are updated to support the new resolution, they also get the new landscape keyboard. Apps that don't support the full iphone 6 resolution have a zoomed 5/5s screen and will give you the older keyboard without the extra keys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vishae

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
I figured out a way to "fix" this. Change your display mode to "zoomed" instead of standard and you'll get your old landscape keyboard without all those crazy buttons.
Zoomed mode is not the prettiest, but I think I prefer it over not being able to type.