Has the 2.0.2 fw really fixed anything for you???

You are jailbroken on 2.0.2? Brave man...

* Ah update for pwnage tool is out for 2.0.2...
** And here is a update on my issues the past two days. Yesterday afternoon I just decided to do a complete restore and ditch my backups. So far so good actually. The issues that I've complained about are not showing up. Loss of sounds, web browsing issues, map issues, no lag, etc... So if you are having issues with 2.0.2 you may benefit from doing a restore and leaving your old back up files behind. It just may help solve your problems.

Quick Pwn (or however it's spelled) allows for 2.0.2 j/b'ing.

I have the backup function turned off, so that shouldn't be the problem.

Thanks for the info, though!

====I hope the Bold is released before my 30 days is up! I am missing my Curve more and more each day!====

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Quick Pwn (or however it's spelled) allows for 2.0.2 j/b'ing.

I have the backup function turned off, so that shouldn't be the problem.

Thanks for the info, though!

====I hope the Bold is released before my 30 days is up! I am missing my Curve more and more each day!====

You may benefit from a restore. I was skeptical that it would do anything useful considering the issues I had but to my surprise all is well now. And don't be so quick to get excited about the Bold.

http://forum.theiphoneblog.com/appl...ackberry-bold-vs-iphone-web-browser-dual.html

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
Still HORRIBLE lag on the keyboard while typing text messages for me.
And lag in contacts.

So basically, I see no difference from 2.0.1, sadly.

Last edited:

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I restored. It solved app and browser resets. It solved syncing taking forever. It made things snappy. This was a few days ago.

Now and then though i experience serious keyboard lag when texting or in email.

I restored from scratch btw. It's easy enough to sync everything back but you do lose webpages saved to screen, passwords, and might have to configure email again as well as ringers, settings.

Apple has a lot of work to do...with itunes as well.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
restore back to 2.0.2 or to 2.0.0?

Also...I have a $hit load of games on my phone. Does this effect performace evev though they don't run in the background? I still have over 5 gigs of space, so that's not an issue.

To 2.0.2. Just when you restore don't use your backup file. Set up as a new iPhone. And it does not matter how many games or apps you have. Good luck. It's been 3 days now since my restore and all is well. All the issues I was having are now gone. The loss of sounds drove me crazy. Has not happened at all.

PSM

May 30, 2005
headsetchatter.com
I have read some threads on Howard Forums where people say their battery life got much worse with 2.0.2. This is the first I'd heard of it and immediately cancelled my plans to upgrade last night. Do you guys find that to be the case?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I have read some threads on Howard Forums where people say their battery life got much worse with 2.0.2. This is the first I'd heard of it and immediately cancelled my plans to upgrade last night. Do you guys find that to be the case?

The past two days since I did a full restore with 2.0.2 I've noticed my battery life seems better. I've been getting 5 hours of usage or a little more. With everything on. 3g, BT, gps location, etc... I was going to post some usage screen shots in the battery thread. But... it seems everyones phones are different at this point. So who knows... ;)

dcharles

Jul 2, 2008
Visit site
I had no issues with 2.0 or 2.0.1, however 2.0.2 seems to have slowed my phone down considerably. I never used to experience the spinning wheel on the screen while things loaded, but now I do quite frequently.

sethclifford

Sep 25, 2006
about.me
I just bought my iPhone on Tuesday. Didn't do a thing with it until I got it home and updated to 2.0.2 because it went ok on my iPod Touch. Since then, I have had some issues people are referring to (alert sounds missing, ATROCIOUS 3G coverage) but my battery life seems great (could just be that the phone is brand new). I had wi-fi on in a 3G area with "normal" phone use the other day, and had like 70% by then end of the day. I'm having issues connecting to stuff like last.fm and AOL Radio while I'm moving in my car (which seems bizarre) over 3G, but once I stop moving it's fine. Really disappointing. But overall, it's been ok.

I guess I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop, so to speak. I do have some (like 4) dead or dying pixels, but I'm not sure they bother me too much. Meh. We'll see.

volsfan0911

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
Well - got to do a little non-local testing this weekend. Went back to Jersey and spent all weekend either on the Turnpike (ugggh) or in North Jersey (Bergen County between Hillsdale, Westwood, etc.) at a wedding. Along with a game Friday night at Camden Yards. I had updated my phone with 2.0.2 and still had marginal 3G reception at my house and home area in Ellicott City, MD (21043). Downtown Baltimore was solid 4-5 bars on 3G the whole game with minimal battery drain and I was flat out amazed at what AT&T has done in North Jersey. When I lived there 3 years ago, AT&T sucked and Verizon had the only decent consistent reception around. This weekend, I had 4-5 bars everywhere and literally didn't even think about battery life other than turning off wi-fi when I left the hotel. So, I'm a lot happier with my phone at this point. Other than hating no voice dialing via my BT headset which I still think is inexcusible (and dangerous). And missing MMS since I wanted to send party pics to my GF and literally couldn't do it as she's on VZW with a RAZR and can't get email on it. Grrrrrrrrrrr.

supermum

Jun 28, 2008
Visit site
I can officially say that 2.0.2 (even with a restore from scratch) has done nothing to solve my problems. I never had lag (keyboard/Safari/etc.) with 2.0 but it started with 2.0.1 and has continued with 2.0.2. It has gotten so bad that many times I cannot type as it takes minutes to get through one four-word sentence.
Also, I have had numerous "Call Failed" issues on outgoing calls and dropped calls when the phone switches from 3G to 2G.
Finally, the last few days I have not been receiving over 50% of my calls. (Yes, I am in service areas).

I am not discouraged. I love this darn gadget and am determined to get one that is okay with being a phone too. Will probably head up to the Apple Store for a switch soon... unless 2.1 is coming very soon.

I bought this as a graduation/birthday present to myself and I can still say I am happy with my purchase (on most days).

PSM

May 30, 2005
headsetchatter.com
Well I've been so fed up with the 3G not working in NYC ever since I got home, and I figured before I call AT&T and ***** at them, since they're gonna insist that the problem is that I haven't installed 2.0.2, even though I know these issues 1) don't exist in Boston and 2) are happening to non-iPhones, I figured it wouldn't hurt to give it a try. Maybe 2.0.2 is a band-aid for something that is really AT&T's fault on parts of the network. Well I must say that since upgrading, I have had data access, which is more than I can say for 90% of the time I've been here, and the speed is comparable to what I was experiencing in Boston. I also have observed that the phone is snappier. The UI (like when you zoom in and out of an app) runs smoother, and the keyboard delay is much less. Maybe this is just because it's a fresh install, I don't know. I do have all my 3rd party apps installed, but I have not jailbroken yet because I want to let it run normally for a while so I will recognize if jailbreaking makes anything worse. Overall I'm cautiously optimistic.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I find it really odd that some have great results with a fresh restore and some do not. It's almost been a week since my restore from scratch and all is still well. And yes I have a ton of apps installed.

ErikJeanna

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Is it just me or does your 3G gobble up your signal? My 3G Blackjack (v1) got almost full signal (4/5 bars) while at home. I upgraded to a 3G iPhone and get between No Signal to maybe 2 bars. I turn 3G off, I get 4 or 5 bars. How much does this suck? You buy a phone for a feature that you can't use??? Anyone else experiencing this?

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Well EDGE signal is stronger because of the frequencies. The signal can travel further and through more objects, but is slower. So for 3g to work well there need to be more towers or move it to a lower frequency which at&t is working on.

Dalekkiller

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
I was having the crashing apps/missing media problem all the time with 2.0.2 usually after syncing or turning the phone off. The weekend before last, something seemed to be going on in the app store and then, when I finally gave in and synced my phone everything was fine. I was able to sync without any problems until today when an app crashed the phone and the problem returned.

Previously, I had to reset the phone multiple times and remove most of the apps to get it working. Today, all I had to do was reset it a few times to get it working. I wonder if the magic fairies at Apple have been working behind the scenes to sort things out??