Groups for Contacts

NigelLane

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
Can anyone help me in understanding the groups function in contacts? I am a PC user, have synced with Outlook but can't find the Iphone contacts on my computer anywhere!

What I am wanting to do is group contacts in several categories. I have an app that would use groups if I could only allocate names to specific groups.

What [no doubt basic information] am I lacking?

Thanks

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
You have to set up your contact groups within your computer and outlook - I'm just assuming you are using outlook to sync contacts. Although I have a Mac and am not 100% sure outlook will even be able to do this. Bottom line is you can not do this from the iPhone itself.

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
You can do this from the phone itself with apps like abcontacts and abgroups.

-Open Outlook
-Select contacts
-Look on the left sidebar, right click contacts and select new folder
ScreenHunter_01_Jun__04_08_58.jpg

-Name the folder(s) what you want your contact groups to be.
-From the main contacts folder, drag and drop the contacts to the appropriate folders (contacts can only be in one folder in outlook)
-In itunes under the info tab select the groups you want to sync to your phone.
ScreenHunter_03_Jun__04_08_59.jpg

From the phone you can put contacts in multipe groups with apps like abcontacts or abgroups.

JazJon

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
My ultimate goal is to have my Google Contacts Groups, show up in my iPhone Contacts Groups.

I was using a hosted exchange email service for awhile.
I just switched to google apps gmail.
m.google.com/sync
Google even supports outlook now (with contacts/calendar sync)
google.com/apps/intl/en/business/outlook_sync.html
Google Apps Outlook Sync for Microsoft Outlook

Neither one seems to sync contact "groups" (just all the contacts)

It seems contacts groups show up on the iphone contacts if we sync via itunes (manually/wired, using outlook method above) The same is true if you manually sync via itunes with a mac address book with groups. (groups show up on the iphone contacts button goes back a page, shows groups)

If you use Google Sync, over the air, the google contacts groups dont show up on your iphone contacts groups. If you view your iPhone contacts main page, you'll see a Groups button in the upper left corner of the screen. If you sync your contacts to your iphone via itunes it seems to preserve your groups. If you use exchange or the new google sync (with exchange) it doesnt show your contacts groups at all on your iphone. Is this feature being worked on?

It seems nuevasync might have something in the works to support google contacts groups. If they can do it, google should be able to as well. They have a free version too. (paid version adds "push")

forum.nuevasync.com:8080/forum/posts/list/189.page

and

forum.nuevasync.com:8080/forum/posts/list/10.page

My ultimate goal is to have my Google Contacts Groups, show up in my iPhone Contacts Groups

jglowe74

Jun 9, 2009
joshlowe.posterous.com
My ultimate goal is to have my Google Contacts Groups, show up in my iPhone Contacts Groups

i use gmail too. and plan on using google sync when i get my 3GS in a week or so. i agree that this would be a handy feature to have. i have groups of contacts for my high school classmates (i organize reunions), co-workers, friends, family, etc. might have to check out apps like abcontacts and abgroups listed previously.

JazJon

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
i use gmail too. and plan on using google sync when i get my 3GS in a week or so. i agree that this would be a handy feature to have. i have groups of contacts for my high school classmates (i organize reunions), co-workers, friends, family, etc. might have to check out apps like abcontacts and abgroups listed previously.

Sync In A Blink sounded promising until I learned it syncs ALL contacts (even the suggested ones) instead of just MY contacts. It seems to be the closest appstore app to do what we want. (so close)

syncinablink.com/SyncInABlink.aspx

Check this out though.

syncinablink.com/Forums.aspx?g=posts&t=174

JazJon

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Man, I really want to see my google contact groups show up on my iPhone contacts (groups). It would be nice to see groups linked into outlook groups as well (or catagories as they are called). I pay for google apps premium even for the full outlook sync. It should be possible to sync contact groups in future updates I hope.

Also it really sucks that google voice contacts/calendar can't be linked to your google apps contacts/calendar

google.com/support/forum/p/voice/thread?tid=42f7b6f965d79a28&hl=en

google.com/support/voice/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=142589

iorikingdom

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
you can use some free app such as GContact Lite

:D:D:D
you can use some free app such as GContact Lite

GContact Lite for iPhone and iPod touch on the iTunes App Store

htt p://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gcontact-lite/id386490865?mt=8

FobBerry

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I don't have an outlook account - I use yahoo. How can I get groups for my contacts (telephone numbers, not email addresses?!)

Johny B

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Agree with iori kingdom. It is a lot more easier to download a 3rd party app. I am using Easy Group. It is a free app.

John John

steamunderpressure

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
So far I have tried Group, SmartR, and GrouMe to try and group my iPhone contacts. The downturn with all these apps is that they place my iPhone contacts on their native servers and apps and group them there. I would really want to group my iPhone contacts directly within the default Contacts app.

I also do not use Outlook anymore and wouldn't want to go back to it just to organize my iPhone contacts into groups. So frustrated right now.

Solublepeter

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
?....The downturn with all these apps is that they place my iPhone contacts on their native servers and apps and group them there. I would really want to group my iPhone contacts directly within the default Contacts app.

It sounds like what you need is our MailShot Pro app App Store - MailShot Pro- Group Email Done Right!.

It creates and manages "group contacts" in your contacts, which you can use from most apps on your device. Instead of requiring you to use its own mail app, you can now send directly from Mail, Photos and many many more. Over the past year around 90000 people have benefited from the way it builds group email right into your apps .

TIP for best results address your MailShot group from the To or Bcc lines of your email by tapping the blue "+", then selecting from your contacts.

Peter
Soluble Apps

Disclosire, I am the developer of MailShot Pro and may benefit from its sale.

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
It sounds like what you need is our MailShot Pro app App Store - MailShot Pro- Group Email Done Right!.

It creates and manages "group contacts" in your contacts, which you can use from most apps on your device. Instead of requiring you to use its own mail app, you can now send directly from Mail, Photos and many many more. Over the past year around 90000 people have benefited from the way it builds group email right into your apps .

TIP for best results address your MailShot group from the To or Bcc lines of your email by tapping the blue "+", then selecting from your contacts.

Peter
Soluble Apps

Disclosire, I am the developer of MailShot Pro and may benefit from its sale.

Can you do one for group texting that will put the groups in the contacts app?

Solublepeter

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm afraid you cannot group phone numbers for texts in the same way that MailShot does for email.

You can include text-equivalent email addresses (which US based cell companies all provide) in a MailShot group, which will then get turned into texts, but it's not really what MailShot was designed for.

Peter
Soluble Apps

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
You can create contact groups on your iPhone with the app store app "Groups".

Sent from an iPhone4s with Tapatalk

Kaitokomauri

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
So far I have tried Group, SmartR, and GrouMe to try and group my iPhone contacts. The downturn with all these apps is that they place my iPhone contacts on their native servers and apps and group them there. I would really want to group my iPhone contacts directly within the default Contacts app.

I also do not use Outlook anymore and wouldn't want to go back to it just to organize my iPhone contacts into groups. So frustrated right now.

A way to create and edit groups within the default Contacts app is using something like copytrans contacts.

1. Run the program and make sure you have your iPhone connected to your computer. Then create a new contact group as shown below:

7222031656_5b6d2b9a17.jpg

2. Drag and drop selected contacts in the group:

7222031302_079c986492.jpg

3. The group appears on the iPhone with the respective contacts

7186796547_1fdd7b07a8_m.jpg

Reactions: steamunderpressure

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members