GPS Question

Vortec 5.3

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Is it possible to use google maps and my 'non" iPhone moblie hot spot to activate the gps feature. I have a 32GB wi-fi new iPad.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
If your mobile hotspot is capable of outputting NMEA GPS data, and you have an app capable of using that - you're set.

The wifi iPad doesn't have a GPS receiver of it's own - and will locate you based on any location data exists for your device's "public" ip address... if you want to have functional mapping/GPS on a wifi iPad - you'll need an external source for GPS location data... There are bluetooth GPS receiver pucks that work with wifi iPads... and there's the BadElf device (disclaimer: I have one - am nothing more than a satisfied customer...) - and you'll need an app that has a full map on the iPad, or, your hotspot to download map data on the fly.

Vortec 5.3

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
If your mobile hotspot is capable of outputting NMEA GPS data, and you have an app capable of using that - you're set.

The wifi iPad doesn't have a GPS receiver of it's own - and will locate you based on any location data exists for your device's "public" ip address... if you want to have functional mapping/GPS on a wifi iPad - you'll need an external source for GPS location data... There are bluetooth GPS receiver pucks that work with wifi iPads... and there's the BadElf device (disclaimer: I have one - am nothing more than a satisfied customer...) - and you'll need an app that has a full map on the iPad, or, your hotspot to download map data on the fly.

Thanks...Seems like a lot o trouble.. I do have a dedicated gps and one o my phone.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77