GPS broken after iOS 7?

friskies64

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
I first had this issue about a week after I installed iOS 7. Regardless of what app I use (Apple Maps, Google Maps, Waze, etc.), my phone will only pick up a rough location of where I am and won't get any more specific if I rely on the GPS. So when I try to navigate somewhere, it won't find me ("Locating..." displays at the bottom of the screen indefinitely in Apple Maps). As a result I don't get any turn-by-turn directions because my phone doesn't know where I am. Back on iOS 6, I never had this issue and used Maps a lot so I think it has something to do with installing iOS 7. I have tried restoring and setting up as new twice and it didn't help. The GPS will work again shortly after the restore, but then a week later, it will stop working again. I can still locate via Wi-Fi, but when driving that doesn't work well. Is there an issue with my phone that I should visit Apple about (my phone is out of warranty) or is there something else I can try?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Put your device in DFU mode, connect it to your computer and then restore it via iTunes. Afterwards, set it up as a new device. Before installing any 3rd-party apps, test your location services feature. If it accurately fixes on your location, great. Go ahead and finish setting up your device. If not, do one more restore as new.

friskies64

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
DFU is how I resorted it both times and set up as new. What's weird is that the GPS navigation worked just fine shortly after restoring. It's only after about a week that it stops again.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I was about to say that you were given good advice but since that is the way you went about doing it, Won't get you any further and if you are out of warranty and there is a hardware issue that can be fixed it is going to cost you. A tough decision at the least.

friskies64

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
I figured out the problem. I have an FM transmitter since my car doesn't have an auxiliary input, but I like to play my own music or iTunes Radio while driving. If I try navigating with this accessory plugged into the headphone port, that's when the navigation stops. Within 15 seconds of unplugging it, the navigation returned to normal. Then after plugging it in again, the navigation stopped working. So I'm thinking if I want to play my music, I might try a Bluetooth FM transmitter or replacing the receiver in the car. I can navigate just fine without it plugged in or with music playing through the phone's speaker. Thanks for the help anyways!

ShannonKJohns

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried using the Apps when the phone is charging vs not charging? I'm noticing that the GPS won't function properly when the phone is plugged in, but works fine when unplugged.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxgyllsdoll