Google's new interoperable messaging pledge piles the pressure on Apple and iMessage

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
3a5724f44b4183389a37d0bf4d98f070.png

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Suits me just fine. If a friend uses Android and can’t sent me a message then they’ll have to email or call me.

BalrogWing

May 11, 2011
Visit site
While I get RCS is sms improved, I still don’t understand what the big deal is. Apple’s Messages app falls back to sms which is available on all devices, so isn’t that interoperability? My wife has an S23 Ultra and we’ve never had an issue with her sending me a picture or text to my iPhone.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
While I get RCS is sms improved, I still don’t understand what the big deal is. Apple’s Messages app falls back to sms which is available on all devices, so isn’t that interoperability? My wife has an S23 Ultra and we’ve never had an issue with her sending me a picture or text to my iPhone.
I agree with you.

The only limitations I know of is the lack of attachement support and limited to 1 minute videos. I rarely even run into those 😅

Reactions: BalrogWing

BalrogWing

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I agree with you.

The only limitations I know of is the lack of attachement support and limited to 1 minute videos. I rarely even run into those 😅
Same and I’m not trying to defend Apple as holier than thou or whatever, but I feel like they’re making a huge issue out of nothing.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

It’s not. Googles version of rcs would need to go through googles server and is not compatible with carriers RCS.

It also has problems working properly.
51dfc1b95632edd48933808d4daed6c1.png

BalrogWing

May 11, 2011
Visit site
It’s not. Googles version of rcs would need to go through googles server and is not compatible with carriers RCS.

It also has problems working properly.
51dfc1b95632edd48933808d4daed6c1.png
Yup I understand that about Google's RCS, I had a Pixel 6 Pro before my iPhone and had some issues with it working as well. I'm guessing it not being managed by carriers is a reason Apple won't replace sms with it...

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Yup I understand that about Google's RCS, I had a Pixel 6 Pro before my iPhone and had some issues with it working as well. I'm guessing it not being managed by carriers is a reason Apple won't replace sms with it...

Carriers have their own version of rcs that is incompatible with googles, apple isn’t supporting the carriers version either.

SMS works without any data just a cellular signal, rcs does not. There is absolutely no reason for apple to support rcs or get rid of sms.

Seems to be a lot of pixel users switching to iPhone in the past two years.

mech1164

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Carriers have their own version of rcs that is incompatible with googles, apple isn’t supporting the carriers version either.

SMS works without any data just a cellular signal, rcs does not. There is absolutely no reason for apple to support rcs or get rid of sms.

First carriers 'had' their own version of RCS (that failed miserably and tried and failed to ice out Google). Then they all fell in line and accepted Google's version. Especially now that E2E is being supported by Google. SMS on apple is there as a bare minimum to keep it away from regulators. Once though those regulators say that all players have to support RCS like SMS then Apple will move. While I'm Definitely not a fan of government intrusion. In Apple's case they bring it on themselves.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
First carriers 'had' their own version of RCS (that failed miserably and tried and failed to ice out Google). Then they all fell in line and accepted Google's version. Especially now that E2E is being supported by Google. SMS on apple is there as a bare minimum to keep it away from regulators. Once though those regulators say that all players have to support RCS like SMS then Apple will move. While I'm Definitely not a fan of government intrusion. In Apple's case they bring it on themselves.

No, carriers around the world have their own version of rcs, and then there is googles forked version of rcs that is not compatible with any of the other implementations.

Googles rcs is just a cheap iMessages copy that goes through Google servers and doesn't rely on carriers or work very well according to reports from users.

SMS is an industry standard, a part of gsm, and does not require a data connection. Rcs is not a replacement for sms.

Seems apple doesn’t care

7006fb6b13eaf42601f7afcf187bd36d.png

BalrogWing

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Yup, I had been on iPhone for a while and then switched to Pixel for something different. Pixel 6 Pro was awful for me and Google Support didn't help so I switched back, happier than when I was on Pixel for sure.

Reactions: FFR

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Yup, I had been on iPhone for a while and then switched to Pixel for something different. Pixel 6 Pro was awful for me and Google Support didn't help so I switched back, happier than when I was on Pixel for sure.

The pixel 6 was such a disaster, google lost a ton of users due to its defects and their non existant customer service.

The iPhone has better hardware and is much more polished. Enjoy it in good health.

The iPhone 15 and 15 pro might cause some damage to androids marketshare this year.

Who knew android users preferred usb c.

BalrogWing

May 11, 2011
Visit site
The iPhone 15 and 15 pro might cause some damage to androids marketshare this year.
Yup, I'm upgrading to a 15 Pro and holding on to it for a while as long as it's a decent phone. Excited for USB-C, bigger HD than my 12 has, and better battery.

I know people who got the Pixel 7 and are happier with it than with the 6 Pro. I feel like Google gets it right once in a while but then another generation of Pixel will come along where they try something new and it's a cluster f again.

Reactions: Lee_Bo

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Yup, I'm upgrading to a 15 Pro and holding on to it for a while as long as it's a decent phone. Excited for USB-C, bigger HD than my 12 has, and better battery.

I know people who got the Pixel 7 and are happier with it than with the 6 Pro. I feel like Google gets it right once in a while but then another generation of Pixel will come along where they try something new and it's a cluster f again.

12 to 15 that’s a good upgrade. Congrats.

The thing about pixel users is a majority won’t say anting negative about the 7 until the 8 comes out. But with a soc and modem from Samsung, it can’t be good .

mech1164

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
12 to 15 that’s a good upgrade. Congrats.

The thing about pixel users is a majority won’t say anting negative about the 7 until the 8 comes out. But with a soc and modem from Samsung, it can’t be good .
Weil as a Pixel 7 user too, the SoC is decent along with it's modem. Does it beat A16 heck no. It doesn't have to. Could it be better? Sure but that's at least 2 years away when TSMC builds them for Google. Does it beat the Tensor 1? Yep.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site

I went from the 11PM to the 14PM. Probably won’t upgrade to the 15 unless I get an insane amount back for the 14.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Weil as a Pixel 7 user too, the SoC is decent along with it's modem. Does it beat A16 heck no. It doesn't have to. Could it be better? Sure but that's at least 2 years away when TSMC builds them for Google. Does it beat the Tensor 1? Yep.

The Tensor two can’t even beat the 7nm a12 from the 2018 iPhone XS let alone the a16.

d0e36d52ab0e6d23236c2d32ba6682ba.jpg

Cant play cpu intensive games such as genshin impact, overheating, and poor cellular signal. Googles cpu and modem won’t be decent until they switch to tsmc as a fab

First time anyone described a Samsung exynos cpu as decent . They are simply put terrible.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77