Gestures have me Hooked

BillyBreathes

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
I always said once Apple builds a better Blackberry I will come over. I love the gestures. So much better imo.

I find this to be such an interesting comment, but you’re right. IMO , the best email, security and user experience on mobile. The first two things, were always at the very heart of what BlackBerry always strived to be.

Side note. I find Blackberry on Android to be very anti blackberry.

2nd side note. Sorry for derailing. Gestures on the iPhone are stupid good.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
Don't you guys experience any misfires of the tap to wake feature?
I constantly had them on my Xes (I had 2). Almost always when I grabbed the phone (to just carry it around) and touched the screen with my palm or other parts of my hand, the screen turned on (and yes, the lift to wake-feature was off).
Actually this made me feel so uncomfortable that I turned the feature off, although I would love to see an Android-like implementation as some phones have it: "double-tap to wake".
And, even though my Xes didn't unlock, the screen turning on without me wanting it didn't feel right.
So, for me, a tap to wake feature is something great to have, but the implementation on the X is not good enough (yet?).

P.S. I think I stopped using an X on iOS 11.1 (?) - maybe someone can confirm this improved in newer versions? Less sensitive?

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Ok you love it. Any misfires? None at all? Or do they just not matter to you?

I'm not sure what that means "misfire". You mean I am holding the phone in my hand with the display off and **almost** touching it, but not quite, and it turns on? No, I haven't noticed that. You mean that the phone turns the display on when it is sitting on a table and I am not raising it? The only time I have noticed the display come on in a circumstance like that is when I receive a notification. You mean I raise the phone and it doesn't turn on? Maybe once or twice, but a quick tap fixes that.

You mention tapping with a palm, but that just isn't a use case for me. I just don't accidentally tap the phone when I am holding it. And, really, I would expect that any tap with something capacitive, whether a single finger or back of a hand, should wake the phone when it is tapped.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
I'm not sure what that means "misfire". You mean I am holding the phone in my hand with the display off and **almost** touching it, but not quite, and it turns on? No, I haven't noticed that. You mean that the phone turns the display on when it is sitting on a table and I am not raising it? The only time I have noticed the display come on in a circumstance like that is when I receive a notification. You mean I raise the phone and it doesn't turn on? Maybe once or twice, but a quick tap fixes that.

You mention tapping with a palm, but that just isn't a use case for me. I just don't accidentally tap the phone when I am holding it. And, really, I would expect that any tap with something capacitive, whether a single finger or back of a hand, should wake the phone when it is tapped.

By misfire, I mean grabbing it, carrying it around, sometimes touching the screen (I don't see how that can always be avoided), and then the screen sometimes turning on, after mis-interpreting a touch as a tap.

Yes, a TAP should wake the phone, but not a TOUCH, when carrying it around. Like I said, I had 2 Xes, and on both I had these misfires. When picking it up from the desktop, pulling it out of my pocket etc.

Also, why do Android phones never behave like that? I tried the latest Android Blackberries, a Nokia 8 (I think it was), and they all were very capable of telling a touch of the screen from a (double) tap to wake it. Not once a screen turned on without me wanting it.

To get this right: I'm not saying the X-screen turns on ALWAYS when it gets touched. I would say, in 1 out of 3 cases. Therefore, for me, this feature seems to be too sensitive, compared to other (better) implementations that I know of.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
By misfire, I mean grabbing it, carrying it around, sometimes touching the screen (I don't see how that can always be avoided), and then the screen sometimes turning on, after mis-interpreting a touch as a tap.

Yes, a TAP should wake the phone, but not a TOUCH, when carrying it around. Like I said, I had 2 Xes, and on both I had these misfires. When picking it up from the desktop, pulling it out of my pocket etc.

We are different, because when the phone is in my hand, I want the screen on. When I press the sleep/wake button, I want it off. I seriously have not had an issue with this. I do have an Apple case on my phone that sticks out the side a bit, but I've also found that tapping close to the edge does not wake the screen - it really has to be away from the edges. But, again, if I have the phone in my hand, it's because I want to use it, which is why I like raise to wake and tap to wake. And, I do prefer a single tap or touch to a double-tap.

Maybe turning off tap-to-wake is the right thing for you, and just use the sleep/wake button when you want the display on?

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
We are different, because when the phone is in my hand, I want the screen on. When I press the sleep/wake button, I want it off. I seriously have not had an issue with this. I do have an Apple case on my phone that sticks out the side a bit, but I've also found that tapping close to the edge does not wake the screen - it really has to be away from the edges. But, again, if I have the phone in my hand, it's because I want to use it, which is why I like raise to wake and tap to wake. And, I do prefer a single tap or touch to a double-tap.

Maybe turning off tap-to-wake is the right thing for you, and just use the sleep/wake button when you want the display on?

Well, I for my part, very often want to grab my phone to just carry it with me. To carry it with me, does not always mean I want to use it: take it from one room to the other. From home to car. From car to office. From office to lunch break. And back. From office to after work drink/dinner. Back home. And so forth. None of these ‘transporting activities’ mean I want to use it. Therefore the screen should stay off. But sometimes it doesn’t.

In particular with the X, tap to wake would be a critical feature, if working properly, imho. When lying in front of me, eg on the desktop, I have no home button to quickly check for notifications. If, as in my case, tap to wake has to be off because of too many misfires, the only way is to push the on/off button to wake the phone up, or to grab it and use faceID. Both less convenient than a home button, or than a properly working tap to wake feature that doesn’t turn the screen on when I just carry it.

There is no reason to defend tap to wake by all means. I’m not saying it’s a bad feature, actually the opposite. All I’m saying is that Apple’s implementation is not as good as it could or should be.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
Who carries their phone with their hand/finger on screen, anywa I just pushed my thumb on my screen 10 times and didn’t wake, tap it does. Works as intended imo, talk about nit picking.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
My iPhoneX muscle memory is solid LOL. When I use someone else phone I am swiping all over the place. I completely forget they have a home button I need to use.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Who carries their phone with their hand/finger on screen, anywa I just pushed my thumb on my screen 10 times and didn’t wake, tap it does. Works as intended imo, talk about nit picking.

You’re right. I just touched the back of my fingers, the back of my hand, and the side of my pinky against the screen to see what would happen. It never turned on. It only turns on with a definitive tap away from the edges of the display.

Again, it’s a feature that can be turned off if you don’t like it.

I know that I sometimes wish that some functions did things differently, but, man, it’s amazing how great smartphones in general and the iPhone specifically are these days. Nobody but me is going to design a phone that works exactly the way I want it to, but I can definitely live with the small things that don’t work the way I want (i.e., I’d love to be able to pick a notification tone for any notification that sounds, rather than leave it up only to the app developer. Again, I can easily live with not being able to do that.)

ssbtech

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
Blackberry 10 was way ahead of its time. Gestures were the easiest way to navigate thru screens.

I'm really hoping the gestures signal a new path for Apple's design ethos. The gestures make it easier to switch from BB10 to iOS, but things like notifications, email and PIM apps are woefully under-developed.

Frankly I'm shocked at how few things the OS itself can do compared to BB10

xtremeled

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm really hoping the gestures signal a new path for Apple's design ethos. The gestures make it easier to switch from BB10 to iOS, but things like notifications, email and PIM apps are woefully under-developed.

Frankly I'm shocked at how few things the OS itself can do compared to BB10

BB has been gone for many years and still, to this day, nobody does email or notifications nearly as good as BB did 10 years ago. That's kinda pathetic.

ssbtech

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
BB has been gone for many years and still, to this day, nobody does email or notifications nearly as good as BB did 10 years ago. That's kinda pathetic.

Because people are more likely to be drawn in by pig animojis than they are by being able to set different notification profiles sadly.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77