Flying with my Watch for the first time...

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I feel like this is somewhat of a silly question but I thought I would go ahead and ask anyway! I haven’t flown since I got my Apple Watch this past April but will be flying to Montreal on Sunday. My question is should I take my Apple Watch off before going through the TSA checkpoint or is it OK to wear it through x-ray.

I’m wondering what everybody here does. I’m asking mainly because I’m just leery about putting it into one of the little dishes that goes through the machine. I have heard horror stories about things disappearing when going through the checkpoint and I’d rather wear it myself if possible.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Unless Apple says otherwise, I'd keep wearing it. Maybe power it off, but it would stay on my wrist.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I have put my watches (and Watches) many times in those trays. Nothing ever happened, fortunately (knocks on wood).
But you have to take it off for sure.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I fly often and before I go through TSA I put my phone, watch and wallet in one of the pockets in my laptop bag. Then that goes through the X-ray machine. Nothing in the bins except my shoes and liquids.

Been doing that for a long time and it works great and I am not worried about my stuff.

BTW I put them in when I get to the Airport so no one near TSA sees that I am doing it, less of a chance of someone swiping them that way.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Apple has no jurisdiction over TSA and other authorities regarding security checks. Therefore, the rules of the TSA apply.

What I meant was, unless Apple specifically says not to leave it on or to not let it go through the xray machine.

Yes, I know Apple has no say in TSA policy.

Aztek13

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I leave my  Watch on all the time. Never had an issue with it yet. Same for my wife too. I’d say leave it on.

edswife1970

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
I feel like this is somewhat of a silly question but I thought I would go ahead and ask anyway! I haven’t flown since I got my Apple Watch this past April but will be flying to Montreal on Sunday. My question is should I take my Apple Watch off before going through the TSA checkpoint or is it OK to wear it through x-ray.

I’m wondering what everybody here does. I’m asking mainly because I’m just leery about putting it into one of the little dishes that goes through the machine. I have heard horror stories about things disappearing when going through the checkpoint and I’d rather wear it myself if possible.

I’ve just flown once (round-trip) since I’ve had an Apple Watch and I never even thought about taking it off my wrist!

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I never take off my Apple watch unless instructed to by TSA or if I set off the x-ray machine. I've had to remove it perhaps once or twice in the last 50 flights. My recommendation is to leave it on unless instructed otherwise.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I always take it off and put it in my carry-on bag because I'd rather get through the X-Ray or scanner without having to be pulled aside for a supplemental scan.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I used to fly twice a week every other weekend. Traversing 3-4 airports. The Apple Watch will likely set off of the metal detector if you have TSA Pre Check. You MUST remove it if you are going through the body scanner. Simply put, take it off for a minute. The x-ray machine will not harm it at all. Once you get through security feel free to put it back on. I would say I did that no less than 104 times during the time I had that job, most likely more. Never had an issue.

zachpenguin

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I didn’t have to remove mine at all the last time I flew. TSA didn’t even bat an eye at it. Went through the scanner and everything, all was good.

I agree with the above, I’d leave it on unless they ask you to take it off. No need to ruffle feathers.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

I fly a lot, and always leave my Apple watch on when I go through security.

Some tips:

If your flight is, for example, 5 hours long then set a timer for 5 hours when you take off. I find it so much easier seeing how much time is left in the flight rather than trying to figure out if my watch has the correct time if/when I go through the time changes. I typically put both watch and phone in airplane mode to save battery during my flight.

Be sure to carry your paper ticket. Even though you can scan your ticket via your phone before you board, sometimes their scanners are stupid and refuse to scan. Have your paper ticket on hand.

B_Ross

Jul 31, 2018
Visit site
Hi Annie, how was your experience? I am also flying to Canada followed to Europe in a few weeks, I will follow everyone's advice here and keep it on my wrist unless requested to remove it.

I don't know how often theft happens in airports at the security check from bins, but from experience, I have almost lost my glasses, and a wallet at two different occasions. I learned to make sure to tuck all my belongings well placed in the bins, that's where my misfortune happened, they would somehow get knocked out from the shoving and going through the flaps, so for anyone else, I suggest placing valuables inside your carry on if you have one, this way no risk of being stolen or dropped.

steveh552

Trusted Member
Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Just flew to Orlando and back this past week and left it on my wrist going through security st both check points with no issue.

One thing I learned is no checkpoint does it the same. Example home airport take shoes off, tablet out of bag. Orlando leave shoes on, put everything possible in the bag

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi Annie, how was your experience? I am also flying to Canada followed to Europe in a few weeks, I will follow everyone's advice here and keep it on my wrist unless requested to remove it.

I don't know how often theft happens in airports at the security check from bins, but from experience, I have almost lost my glasses, and a wallet at two different occasions. I learned to make sure to tuck all my belongings well placed in the bins, that's where my misfortune happened, they would somehow get knocked out from the shoving and going through the flaps, so for anyone else, I suggest placing valuables inside your carry on if you have one, this way no risk of being stolen or dropped.

My trip went well! I decided to wear my watch through TSA here in Ohio and had no issue. Leaving Montreal, I attempted wearing it, but it seemed to set off the metal detector. The guy was nice and held my watch while I went back through. I was rather surprised, but that was the only issue I had!

Interestingly enough, I had to take my iPad out of my backpack when going through TSA in Ohio, and put it in a smaller bowl along with my iPhone. When leaving Montréal on my trip home, they said that wasn’t necessary. 🤷🏼*♀️

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vivekintech1