• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

Earpiece Crackle Sound

rdrum

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I've had my iPhone 4 (Verizon) for three weeks now and I love it. I have started to notice a problem(?) though.

I'm getting a slight crackling/static-like sound from the earpiece speaker on my iPhone 4 (VZW). Pushing the phone tighter against my head does not resolve it, nor does holding the speaker a bit away from my ear.

Is anyone else experiencing this? I'm considering taking it to a local Apple store (lucky that I have two in town) and asking them about it, but wanted to check in here first.

IF I take it back to an Apple store, does anyone know if they will replace it with a new out-of-the-box unit, or will I get a refurb?

Cheers!
~R

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
You can hear static and noise just by wearing them so I suggest sorting out whether or not this happens when you're in motion.

I noticed my iPhone headphones are more prone to this static and hearing them than the RIM OEM headphones I like to use with other phones but the iPhone's white set gives you the start, stop, advance and volume features.

Good luck.

rdrum

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
You can hear static and noise just by wearing them so I suggest sorting out whether or not this happens when you're in motion.

I noticed my iPhone headphones are more prone to this static and hearing them than the RIM OEM headphones I like to use with other phones but the iPhone's white set gives you the start, stop, advance and volume features.

Good luck.

Sorry - should have been more clear... I don't get the crackle/static-like sound through headphones. I only get it when I have the phone up to my head.

~R

JasonG

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Try restoring the phone as that's the first thing their going to tell you to do anyways. If you take it to the apple store they will certainly replace it but it will be a refurbished phone. I know that sounds scary but often the refurb phones are better than brand new. Every refurbished iPhone I have ever gotten (3 of them) you would of never guessed that they were refurbished. It's nothing to be afraid of

brokenxreality

May 1, 2011
Visit site
I had that problem too. I got a replacement and I set it up as new iPhone instead of backup and haven't had any problems since. The replacement is not refurbished. At least that was what I was told when I got it.

Last edited:

rdrum

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I've made an appointment with a local Apple Store for later today to talk to them about the issue and see if they recommend a solution or offer up a replacement.

rdrum

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I went to the Apple Store last night and they replaced my phone with a new one (black box) - I was assured by the tech that the replacement unit was indeed a new/never-owned/never-used iPhone. From what I can tell, he didn't BS me. I suppose it helps that I was within my 30-day return period.

I've used the new unit for about 30 minutes on calls and haven't heard the same sound I heard before.

brokenxreality

May 1, 2011
Visit site
Yeah they did the same thing for me. Same black like box and assured it was brand new and not refurb since I was within 30 days. I was surprised to hear such a sound on the first one. I heard it once on the new one sadly. That's good you got yours taken care of. :)

rdrum

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Yeah they did the same thing for me. Same black like box and assured it was brand new and not refurb since I was within 30 days. I was surprised to hear such a sound on the first one. I heard it once on the new one sadly. That's good you got yours taken care of. :)

All I know is that if I hear the sound again, I'm not going back to the Apple Store, I'm going to see my family doctor! :p

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jethro7