Does the "Sent from my iPad" email signature make you seem unprofessional?

tack

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
Yes. Whether or not you agree that it is useful is irrelevant. A wise quote sums it up: "What doesn't make sense to some makes perfect sense to others".

What if a person likes the default signature and in that case, how does it make him or her lazy? I thought personalizing something was an "option" aka "choice". Meaning: I can if I want to, but I don't have to. Therein lies the problem. Why do you care about how it makes someone else look? Is it not their device to whatever they please just like you do with yours?

In general, I agree, but "in general" isn't law. I will argue that, in personal use, it is irrelevant. For example, 99% of the recipients who have my primary email address are listed in my contacts book and when I receive an email from them, their name is clearly displayed in the 'from' field. In other words, I know who the message is from long before I read the sender's signature. No problem

That's debatable. Your comments above say otherwise, in my opinion. ;) I believe you. I like playing devil's advocate from time to time. I'm glad you did. Didn't you just state that it wasn't a big deal and yet, you're jabbing at people who use the default signature as being "extra proud..." seemingly because you don't understand why they use it.

Okay Can 'you' be a bit more specific about the 'you' you're referring to? That statement makes 'you' a bit sensitive, don't you think? Personally, I'm aware of my capabilities as well as my faults and thus, have no worries about what others think. Furthermore, I have no problem agreeing to disagree. Anyway, thank you for your reply. I really enjoyed reading it. Take care and enjoy the rest of your Sunday. :)

Actually I am replying to a posted topic, which does not take much energy and thus not a big deal. I am not emotional about it, just giving my opinion.

None of your statements are really a position. Saying "to each his own" is not really an opinion other than you are ok with either. Bur I am ok with that. This is not a topic of right or wrong.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Actually I am replying to a posted topic, which does not take much energy and thus not a big deal. I am not emotional about it, just giving my opinion.

None of your statements are really a position. Saying "to each his own" is not really an opinion other than you are ok with either. Bur I am ok with that. This is not a topic of right or wrong.

Enjoy the rest of your evening, Tack. ;)

pilsbury

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm really indifferent about it. It's on there and I really don't care. I don't use mine for business purposes, so I guess it doesn't matter much.

osensnolf

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
People do not care about what devices you have. (maybe pilsbury's post ahead of me will understand that.)

As a business owner, I like the "sent from" tagline as it shows that I.
1) Care enough to respond before I got back to the office
2) Need to keep the message short since I am on a mobile device.

You can revise the signature to also include your name and other contact details but keep the "Sent from an iDevice" line.

Reactions: Just_Me_D

Totalimmortal363

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I think CB-Kevin's comment came out of bigotry and pomposity.

And maybe, he's just pizzled-off that his beloved RIM is in such sorry shape, and that manifested itself in his comment... (/armchair psychologist) :D

Agreed. If I was slavishly obediant to a failing platform and company, I'd try to find trivial things to make fun of so the winning side looks bad.

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I think that it is not unprofessional but more like an advice to the receiver. It started on the iPhone and a typo happened every now and then. So he should know that it was not necessarily on purpose but could be a regular typo or even an auto-correction. And it is more than understandable that Apple used it on the iPad as well ? especially how Apple feels about their own devices.
So no, I don't think that it is unprofessional and anyone can use whatever signature he or she wants. I have friends and family too who still have this signature.

Johannes