Does iCloud have a restraint on thumbnails with the file's actual size?

dubstir

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
I am interested in dropping OneDrive/DropBox/Mega etc... in favor of iCloud Drive. I just purchased the 50GB plan and I am moving 40GB of photos/videos with the Windows 10 iCloud application. After the files have successfully uploaded on Windows, and successfully downloaded to my 7+, thumbnails of items smaller than 1MB display, no thumbnails of any photo/video larger than 1MB, only a place holder.

So... does iCloud have a restraint on thumbnails with the file's actual size?

I will think about halting my intentions of moving to Apple's iCloud Drive in place of all competitors if the simple task of thumbnails cannot be accomplished.

As I've searched for an answer before posting here on iMore, I want to be clear that I do NOT own a Mac and this "issue" is solely iOS related.

Last edited:

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Just a note to let you know we're not ignoring your question. I'm just not sure anyone has an answer for you yet.

Hopefully my reply will bump up your thread so that others who may have missed it can now see it.

dubstir

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
Just a note to let you know we're not ignoring your question. I'm just not sure anyone has an answer for you yet.

Hopefully my reply will bump up your thread so that others who may have missed it can now see it.

Thank you for the heads up, appreciated. There isn't much information about iCloud Drive across the web, so I can understand the holdup.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

dubstir

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
Maybe I will thanks, but I doubt I'll get a straight answer and I don't want to do all the basic troubleshooting steps considering there isn't an "issue". This "issue" is consistent across my 2 iPhones and one iPad, so that leads me to believe iOS has a limitation for iCloud Drive file sizes and their thumbnails.

dubstir

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
So out of curiosity, I called Apple support and the agent didn't find any documentation on this. She will consult with colleagues internally and reach out to me in a week.

Does anyone else notice file sizes larger than 1MB show a placeholder vs their corresponding thumbnail on their iOS device?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
So out of curiosity, I called Apple support and the agent didn't find any documentation on this. She will consult with colleagues internally and reach out to me in a week.

Does anyone else notice file sizes larger than 1MB show a placeholder vs their corresponding thumbnail on their iOS device?

All I found said file size in iCloud drive can not exceed 15 gb. And it can't be more than your available storage in iCloud. Not sure what you mean by "show a placeholder".

dubstir

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
All I found said file size in iCloud drive can not exceed 15 gb. And it can't be more than your available storage in iCloud. Not sure what you mean by "show a placeholder".

On a device besides an iOS device, upload an image larger in size than 1MB. Then open iCloud Drive on an iOS device. After the sync occurs, let me know if you see a thumbnail image of your new image, or if you see something like my attached image. IMG_0051.JPG

dubstir

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
Another weird item...

The following screenshot shows thumbnails for large .mov files with iCloud Drive on iOS, but these files were uploaded directly to Drive with the iOS app and then these files were deleted from my camera roll. I reset my phone removing EVERYTHING and restored through the latest iCloud backup NOT iTunes. These large files obviously have thumbnails.

I'm wondering if this issue has to do with how files are added to iCloud Drive. The files that have NO thumbnail were synced from the Windows 10 iCloud app and the files that have thumbnails were uploaded directly from iOS.IMG_0052.JPG

dubstir

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
Another item I don't understand regarding Apple's inconsistency... why do some images get .jpg while others get .JPG. Same goes for mov files. Look at my attachment above.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
On a device besides an iOS device, upload an image larger in size than 1MB. Then open iCloud Drive on an iOS device. After the sync occurs, let me know if you see a thumbnail image of your new image, or if you see something like my attached image. View attachment 123793

I don't have any other device than an iPhone. And I don't use iCloud drive. I don't store my photos in iCloud. Hopefully, someone who knows about this will come along.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I don’t have an answer for you, but I wanted to let you know that I’ve gotten fairly quick answers by tweeting to Apple support

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77