Disappointed with misleading new iPad Pro introduction,

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I didn't expect to be interested in the new iPad Pro because my current Pro meets my needs. However, the thinner and lighter frame, the M4 processor, and the OLED display with nano-textured glass were enticing features. I am disappointed that Apple didn't clearly state that the M4 processor and nano-textured glass will cost an extra $700 - taking the advertised price of $999 to $1699. Yes, I know they said "starts at $999," but I still think the presentation was misleading. At a minimum, I wish Apple would offer the M4 processor and the nano-glass as an upgrade, without having to purchase 1TB of storage, which for me is a complete waste of money.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I didn't expect to be interested in the new iPad Pro because my current Pro meets my needs. However, the thinner and lighter frame, the M4 processor, and the OLED display with nano-textured glass were enticing features. I am disappointed that Apple didn't clearly state that the M4 processor and nano-textured glass will cost an extra $700 - taking the advertised price of $999 to $1699. Yes, I know they said "starts at $999," but I still think the presentation was misleading. At a minimum, I wish Apple would offer the M4 processor and the nano-glass as an upgrade, without having to purchase 1TB of storage, which for me is a complete waste of money.
All the 2024 iPad Pro models come with the M4 Processor.

The nanotextured display does require the higher storage model, because it’s targeted to specific use cases, such as people using Final Cut Pro multicamera mode.

Reactions: doogald

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
These presentations are nothing but sales pitches. And sales pitches rarely tell you the negatives. Especially excessive prices. You'll know next time, and do research after the presentation.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site

The nanotextured display does require the higher storage model, because it’s targeted to specific use cases, such as people using Final Cut Pro multicamera mode.
My mistake. Since they all include the M4, that's not nearly as misleading as I thought.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
While this is true, it's also true that the lower-storage iPad Pro models have only 3 CPU performance cores, and the higher storage models have 4. Also the 1 TB and 2 TB models have 16 GB RAM vs. 8 GB for the others, and I have heard rumors as well that the lowest-end 256 GB model has a single NAND SSD chip vs. 2 for the others, so we are back to the issue that the M2 MBA had with the 256 GB model of having one model with slower disk write speeds. (For example, the 256 GB model is limited to taking ProRes video at 30 fps and 1080p on internal storage rather than 30 fps and 4k, which the other models can do, which is probably due to the write performance.)

Apple is doing some segmentation with the iPad Pros other than the glass.

Hmm. I really think this is more like the way car manufacturers market models within their lines - if you want some features you can only get them with higher-end option packages. Because really to me nanotextured display may be useful to anyone who wants to reduce glare from bright light sources that reflect off the glass of the standard displays.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Hmm. I really think this is more like the way car manufacturers market models within their lines - if you want some features you can only get them with higher-end option packages. Because really to me nanotextured display may be useful to anyone who wants to reduce glare from bright light sources that reflect off the glass of the standard displays.
From what I have heard on Jason Snell’s podcast, the nanotextured glass display causes a lower image quality than the regular glossy one because of the glass treatment. Is there a technological reason why that glass can’t be paired with a 128GB M5 iPad Air (being devil’s advocate)? No. Will they do it? Probably not.

They are really pushing users that absolutely need that display to the highest tiers because they determined that they will pay for it even at those prices.

Apple is doing some segmentation with the iPad Pros other than the glass.
Absolutely, and not just on the iPad Pro product line.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigBawseEB