• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

Disappointed in Apple

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
What a smug bunch you all are, are you all shopkeepers ? I personally have had much better service than that described from my local Apple store and have always had any problems I have had with my old phones examined and explained (and sometimes fixed) with politeness and courtesy.

So have I. But if I don’t, what right do I have to believe I’m entitled like the OP? Just accept your luck of the draw and move on. Nothing smug about not being a crybaby.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
What a smug bunch you all are, are you all shopkeepers ? I personally have had much better service than that described from my local Apple store and have always had any problems I have had with my old phones examined and explained (and sometimes fixed) with politeness and courtesy.

You should recognize that anything they've done for you outside of your warranty period is a courtesy. I get the feeling that you've grown entitled due to this service and you expect it now. That shouldn't be the case. You should be grateful if they've fixed any issue for you outside of your warranty period but never expect such service because they have no obligation to do such. That's what we are explaining here.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
What Kataran said.
I never purchased any so called extended warranty, which is like an insurance policy with more gambling nature.

When it was announced that the back glass on the X would be $550 to replace in the event of damage, I decided it's best for me to get the insurance. As a married man with three kids...I can't guarantee that I'd always have an extra $550 to fix my phone if something happened. AppleCare+ drops that cost to something much more reasonable and affordable in the event of a failure.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
When it was announced that the back glass on the X would be $550 to replace in the event of damage, I decided it's best for me to get the insurance. As a married man with three kids...I can't guarantee that I'd always have an extra $550 to fix my phone if something happened. AppleCare+ drops that cost to something much more reasonable and affordable in the event of a failure.

I mentioned the word "insurance" but it may not be the proper representation f what I really wanted to say:). I draw a line between so called extended warranty and say, auto and home insurance etc. In can insiurance, besides the personal indemnity, repair cost to the car runs thousand of dlrs.
I have a lot of thoughts on so extended warranty. I am talking mostly about gadget and perhaps up to home appliance level. Yes, I have been so far lucky, not needing any damage repair, and I do indeed am careful in using daily portable gadget like phones.
When something happened to things like a little gadget like a phone, the max damage to my wallet (and perhaps my ego) is a net replaement cost. This is a risk I am prepared to take.
My problem with extended warranty is that this is something retailers always try to sell hard, as most of this ends up their net profit. Sometimes, I did fell those offered by Best Buy etc, are actually reasonable and might be worth it. But the problem with Apple Care is, it's way too much over priced for the total replacment cot. Repair cost for anything Apple is also too over priced, making it falsely believe that Apple Care might be a good deal, which is not, in my opinion. Example: Battery replaceent cost for iPhone was $79. But after class actions on planned obsolcense issue, Apple immediately reduced it's cost down to $29, and it is now universally applied. And they still make money at that price. Why do I know that? Because private sector repairer like iFixit immeddiately matched it (from $79 to $29). You would not think that they would replace batteries at loss.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
We as layman will never know how much Apple makes on there care but I do know how much I save by not getting it. I will pay to fix my mistakes that I caused with my hard earned cash instead of giving money to a maybe clause. The one year manufacture warranty covers me in case of a defect and the rest is my responsibility

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
We as layman will never know how much Apple makes on there care but I do know how much I save by not getting it. I will pay to fix my mistakes that I caused with my hard earned cash instead of giving money to a maybe clause. The one year manufacture warranty covers me in case of a defect and the rest is my responsibility

Ecactly. Said better than I did:)

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site

The same here. I purchased an iPad Pro on eBay. The screen kept flickering and was jumpy. Took the iPad to the Apple Apple. IPad was still under warranty. Apple peeps ordered meca brand new iPad same model and storage with out any hesitation.

The peeps there we're very helpful

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Smug? The store was following policy. They have their own discretion to make exceptions I'm sure. What doesn't sit right with me is the threat "I'll post on facebook!" Makes me wonder what the rest of the interaction was like.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I have never had a negative experience with anyone at Apple either at their store or via telephone or online with Apple Support.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

That’s from having a very good old school upbringing, sir. I tip my hat to you!...

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
To me, Apple Care + is worth peace of mind that if I drop my phone, and damaged caused might be repaired at a fraction of what it would have normally cost.

Call it what you want, but I worked my butt off to be in the position I am now to be able to splurge on the things I want. AC+ may not be worth it to a lot of folks, but I'll buy it all day long.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
To me, Apple Care + is worth peace of mind that if I drop my phone, and damaged caused might be repaired at a fraction of what it would have normally cost.

Call it what you want, but I worked my butt off to be in the position I am now to be able to splurge on the things I want. AC+ may not be worth it to a lot of folks, but I'll buy it all day long.

B-I-N-G-O

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
While this topic is moot to me personally since AC+ is baked into my T-Mobile insurance...I do agree that Apple had zero obligation to fix anything out of warranty for anything less than full cost of the service.

guapinoy

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
I’m not very impressed with Apple customer service. I was very spoilt in that my lovely partner Sharon bought me an iPhone 7 Plus in May 2017. In that time I’ve looked after my phone and it’s not even got a scratch on it. It has developed a fault with the charging port over the last week or so which means I have difficulty charging it. I made an appointment with Apple at their Meadowhall store. As my phone is 8 weeks out of its warranty period they refused to help me. They would only replace the phone for a large fee. I argued with them but to no avail and they would not budge from that amount of money. When I think of how much money we’ve all spent on apple products over the years it makes me very angry. I told the manager at the store that I would post on Facebook regarding their lack of customer care and he advised me to quote their terms and conditions. I am annoyed that a phone which cost a lot of money isn’t able to function properly after 12 month.

Did Sharon use a credit card to buy it? A lot of credit cards extend warranty by at least a year. If you contact the credit card company they may help you out.

xtremeled

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
The Apple Store manager did not do anything wrong or negative against you. Can I assume you and the purchaser declined to get Apple Care Plus for the device?

You stated that the device developed a fault with the charging port. That’s very vague, in my opinion, and doesn’t state specifically how the fault was developed.

In any case, deciding to negatively judge the Apple Store and Apple for not fixing an out of warranty device free of charge is petty. Can you tell me what mobile device company would’ve fixed it free of charge?

They made no offer to repair it period. That's the way I read the OP's post. One of Apples problems and its becoming more common, they don't fix much of anything. The offer is to replace at some ridiculous price

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
They made no offer to repair it period. That's the way I read the OP's post. One of Apples problems and its becoming more common, they don't fix much of anything. The offer is to replace at some ridiculous price

For every example you provide with this claim that “Apple doesn’t fix much of anything” and only “offer to replace at some ridiculous price”, those examples would most likely be countered with 30 examples of Apple fixing much of everything, even out of warranty. It’s happened for me on four different occasions. I’ve also had an encounter in which I didn’t get my way.

I also noticed the OP speaks of one experience at one Apple Store. I’m sure anyone with any common sense can figure out what their other options are after attempting to get an out of warranty repair only ONCE in only ONE store. Trial and error. And if it doesn’t go your way, then boo hoo.

I’d also bet my bottom dollar that we’re not getting the full story from the OP. The hilarious “gonna post on Facebook” thing tells me all I need to know about the OP.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Don’t have Apple Care but I do have the insurance provided through Verizon. I would NOT ever be without insurance. I am extremely careful and have never had to file a claim and the monthly premium I pay is nothing compared to what it would cost me if I didn’t have the insurance.
The store you dealt with did nothing wrong. Had you had insurance you would had been taken care of with the deductible. So you don’t have insurance. Put on your adult pants and act like an adult. You chose to not have insurance and unfortunately you are up the creek without a paddle so to speak.
I am a retail manager and we have a warranty on our product. It is a one yr warranty. I cannot deviate from our warranty and there are customers who try. I have policies to follow just like Apple has policies to follow.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site

With a smile and understanding my wife had the Apple Store do a repair that was a find alternative to a new phone. When they twice missed their repair estimate time that day a manager at minutes before store closing offered a whole new or refurbished phone to us and two others who did not get their repairs done on time.

I did notice one of the others that got that present at our early in the day drop off appointment. She had smile on then, and when the store messed up later. I’m sure it was an easy decision for the manager to take care of polite and understanding customers who were not asking for a handout.

In the past year I have had experiences that have shown some dings in Apple’s armor. As an IT admin and business team customer I’m at the store somewhat often. A leader in the store had perfect candor saying they’ve had challenges keeping staffed and keeping up with repairs. Even when they have problems it seems like they do a better job than a lot of firms.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shanefreedman