Dark Knight Rises reviews

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Looking forward to seeing this, maybe I can get my girlfriend to take my next week when the crowds die down a little. :)

arcadelion

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
What I didn't like:
I personally wanted more from the movie.
I didn't care for the whole nuclear bomb holding the city hostage for months.
These movies had a sense of realism, and I doubt any major US city would be held hostage for any number of hours.

Not a big fan of Bane crying towards the end.
His relationship with Talia al Ghul reminded me of the one he had with Poison Ivy from Batman & Robin. That's a movie I'd like to forget.

No mention of The Joker! What the ****!?

Overall thoughts:
If there is indeed another sequel featuring Robin as the main character, I hope Batman is not in it.
I like that Batman is "dead" and Bruce Wayne lived happily ever after. Nolan gave this an Inception like ending that I appreciated very much.

The first fight scene between Bane and Batman was incredible. Too bad there was only two fights between the two.

I wonder what part 3 would be like if Heath Ledger hadn't died.

In my opinion, I rank the trilogy as Batman Begins>The Dark Knight>The Dark Knight Rises.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Finally saw Dark Knight Rises.

Here are some thoughts:

Overall I liked it, which is the case with all the Nolan Batman movies. The tone was good and the realism he tries to establish, for the most part, works.

TDKR felt more like a mini-series than a movie -- it was long and felt long, but I didn't mind that much.

I've come to view them as a ElseWorld story -- Batman and characters from Batman re-interpreted and re-imagined and re-set. We had Bane and Catwoman and Talia Al Ghul but mostly in name only. They were cool and interesting at times, but I never got the sense I was seeing the comic characters come to life, like I have with the Marvel characters and the Avengers. (They varied in detail, of course, but were truer to the core.)

That's the whole point of ElseWorld though.

Here are my major problems with it:

Nolan never got Batman, not in Batman Begins, not in Dark Knight, and not here. I get he was trying for a Frank Miller Dark Knight Returns vibe, but the whole "quit being Batman for 8 years and hid" vibe wasn't earned. Rachel was a casualty of his war. Like his parents. Likewise, Alfred doesn't quit. He strokes out in the Batcave maybe, but he doesn't quit. So silly.

Most importantly, Dark Knight was missing a word -- detective. Batman figures out Talia. He hears that she's a girl in the pit and then orchestrates the ending to get put in the room with her and Bane because he figures out she's the trigger man. You can keep the same story, and have an effective Batman.

WHO ALSO DOESN'T KILL. Batman DOES have to save Ras Al Ghul in the first movie (because he couldn't save his parents and that means he absolutely will save everyone else -- even the Joker.) He doesn't blow up streets knocking Talia's truck off the road, killing her too. Nolan's Batman has a death count on him that's remarkably out of character.

So is the ending. Batman isn't in some dumb cafe in Italy. He's in the cave when Robin arrives. With Gordon. Figuring out how to take his city back. (If you're going to use TDKR, use it)

(Nolan never nails endings for me. Inception was like Matrix ending with Neo never stopping bullets.)

Two-Face was utterly wasted in these movies. Joker got two Two-Face crimes in Dark Knight (including one done on himself -- two victims, two locations.)

In no world, Else or otherwise, is John Blake Robin. Name him Drake if you have to, call him Tim at the end for comic book fans, and be done with it. Or really have some Miller balls and uses Carrie Kelly.

For as much as Nolan used Miller's TDKR, he didn't uses the payoff to the mutant leader fight on Bane, which seemed wicked obvious.

Also, Bane's voice was almost incomprehensible at times. Couldn't fix that in post?

I'll have to watch it a few more times to really figure out my thoughts.

But overall, and if I truly divorce myself from my lifetime of Batman love, it was much better than I expected, and really good overall. Flawed but fantastic.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I found it to be a good movie, but not great nor very good. I think it's the weakest of all three. The movie could've done fine without Selina Kyle, but she was necessary in a way to give Bruce a way to start over long with her. Talia would've been a better character had she had a way to be introduced earlier in the films, but there wasn't space for her.

We can nitpick the movies to death, but that isn't what I think we should be doing. Personally, I don't recommend it unless you are hardcore.

far kingdom

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I watched TDKR during the second day. Overall, I was very satisfied with the movie especially the ending which is very fulfilling and emotional. The special effects was spectacular and the money was well-spent for the amount of work poured into this movie. I even ran a two-days marathon to re-watched all of previous Nolan's batman movies, just to amuse myself.

Although the trilogy is close to perfection, here's my take: I still think that the Dark Knight is still the best among the three movies (though I seriously doubt any movie can be better than it). The second will be TDKR and then Batman Begins.
I felt that Dark Knight is more action-packed and is one of the perfect thriller that got me hook in my seats the whole time. While TDKR is more of an emotional roller-coaster and it wraps the entire trilogy perfectly well.

Even though I love the ending, I had a question pondering on my mind: How did Bruce Wayne escaped the nuclear blast in the end? Can the flying "Bat" withstand the force of nuclear power or did he drove up to space or down below the sea?

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Even though I love the ending, I had a question pondering on my mind: How did Bruce Wayne escaped the nuclear blast in the end? Can the flying "Bat" withstand the force of nuclear power or did he drove up to space or down below the sea?

Easy, Hollywood physics.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
I watched TDKR during the second day. Overall, I was very satisfied with the movie especially the ending which is very fulfilling and emotional. The special effects was spectacular and the money was well-spent for the amount of work poured into this movie. I even ran a two-days marathon to re-watched all of previous Nolan's batman movies, just to amuse myself.

Although the trilogy is close to perfection, here's my take: I still think that the Dark Knight is still the best among the three movies (though I seriously doubt any movie can be better than it). The second will be TDKR and then Batman Begins.
I felt that Dark Knight is more action-packed and is one of the perfect thriller that got me hook in my seats the whole time. While TDKR is more of an emotional roller-coaster and it wraps the entire trilogy perfectly well.

He wasn't on the Bat. He fixed the autopilot.

micky011

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Dark Knight Rises is very nice action movie and i like this movie.main cast of this movie are Christian Bale, Anne Hathaway and Tom Hardy and Directed by Christopher Nolan. dark knight rises movie is hit in all over the world.

Movies10.biz

Last edited:

realsuprimo

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Great movie I like the way Bane was brought into the movie, the ending was kind of predictable to me. But I enjoyed it very much. At least Bruce Wayne is happy.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2