CrowdStrike confirms Macs are 'not impacted' by a global outage impacting airlines, banks, and more — and a fix is on the way

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I saw the headlines around 7:30 this morning and when I started reading the actual articles I got a clearer picture of what occurred. I would argue that a majority of the people in our business did the same thing and passed that info along to others. Still, there will always be people who only read the headlines.

Reactions: EdwinG

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I’m done discussing with you. Welcome to the ban list!

Clearly when the Microsoft’s CCO and CrowdStrike’s CEO come out and state whose fault it is, in agreement, they’re definitely more knowledgeable than some random person on the Internet.

Ed you seem to be taking this way to personally.

Sure random person on the internet is not just posting about what all major publications and news were reporting, but apparently I orchestrated it.

BBC, Ny times, the indépendant, the express CNN, CNBC, and “titter” all take their marching orders from me.

And that's the issue I have with those clickbait headlines. They spread misinformation, often knowingly, just to attract clicks. A good reporter would take the time to find a catchy title without spreading falsehoods.

Here's the title from CBC News this morning at 3:52 EDT, which is not perfect, but sufficient to catch someone's eye without misleading (the intro to the article ends there).
View attachment 134018

Here's rival CityNews that compounded two disruptions (CrowdStrike and yesterday's Azure Central USA issue):
View attachment 134019

Unfortunately, those are the only two that I have the original titles for. Tech media has been more factual in their titles, but they are also more niche and slower on the breaking news; I received the first article around 6:10 EDT.

As a professional in the ICT field, there is a responsibility to inform and correct inaccuracies, as well as not to knowingly spread misinformation about events in our field (see the AT&T and Rogers disruptions from 2024 and 2022 respectively that were initially thought to be cyberattacks) and let other people know when they do so.

Wow CBC and city news, yup those are the big players in media. Billions of people read them.

Here is a picture of an Italian sunset to calm the professional in the ick field, that gets bothered and bent out of shape by mainstream headlines.

3e4d514c11e5e280f0ddf6f5018c64c7.jpg

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Guys, FFR is aware of the actual cause of the outage, but he is also correct in stating that the incident is being reported as the ‘Microsoft Outage’. Media outlets are doing that because Microsoft is the big name and they know people are going to be interested. Remember, it’s the headline that grab one’s attention.

Precisely and majority of the global population will not look at the footnotes to distinguish the specifics of the incident, they will blame Microsoft as it was labeled a “Microsoft Outage” and many will switch to a Mac because of it.

Interestingly since this affected over a billion windows PCs and as Ed clearly stated crowdstrike is an enterprise level software not used by consumers, this begs the question:

How many consumers actually use windows?

Between 100 million - 200 million users.
That’s an incredibly small number