Convince me to switch

Alex Fanelli

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
Alright, here goes.
--
I'm not gonna lie, the fact I'm on iMore right now goes against everything I believe in when it comes to phones. I own a Nokia Lumia 925 running Windows Phone 8.1.1 (8.1 Update 1), and I need a backup plan in case the platform falls or my phone breaks. Although I originally had no intention to switch platforms, I wandered into an Apple store the other day and became strangely tempted. The problem is that I'm honestly scared to death of some of the stereotypes of the platform, the pricing (I don't have a lot of money to throw away!) and (Coming from the Live Tile interface) the overwhelming "staticness" of the UI and the inability to remove apps from the home screen. At the same time though; I absolutely love the cleanness of the interface and the vast amount of apps on the platform. I'm seriously torn, help!

(Sorry for any typos, I'm half asleep)

Thanks guys!

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
First welcome to iMore. Second- I won't convince you to switch. I would suggest searching our forums for the countless threads just like this one. My suggestion is to go with what you like. If you like windows mobile continue to use it.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, you have to decide if a iPhone will work for you.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Amy wineBerry

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
I think the best thing you can do in deciding whether to switch is to try out the device. I'm a chronic phone switcher as I find the beauty in all platforms, even if my stay with some is short lived. As you are the one who has to live with the device, you have to convince yourself as to whether any particular device is worth it.

There are disadvantages to every device. Sure the reviews point these out, but I think you can only get a feel as to whether you can live with those disadvantages upon actually trying the device for yourself.

At this point, most devices have the same basic functionality; it will just come down to whose presentation and extras you like more.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Choice of OS is a personal decision, stay or switch according to what you need and want. That said, I switched (back) to iOS from Android for the media management/sync capabilities that I could not find in any other mobile OS.

If WinPhone is what you're used to and it does everything you need and want, then you may as well stay with it. There is virtually no chance of the platform going away as it is part of Microsoft's overall OS strategy, and now that they own a hardware platform as well, even if all other manufactures decide to abandon it, it'll still be around.

As for apps... the good news on iOS is that there are 18 gazillion apps available. The bad news is... there are 18 gazillion apps available.

Really, how many different versions of Klondike Solitaire do we really need? That many apps makes it difficult to locate the ones that you really want to use if you're just browsing or searching by keyword.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Alright, here goes.
--
I'm not gonna lie, the fact I'm on iMore right now goes against everything I believe in when it comes to phones. I own a Nokia Lumia 925 running Windows Phone 8.1.1 (8.1 Update 1), and I need a backup plan in case the platform falls or my phone breaks. Although I originally had no intention to switch platforms, I wandered into an Apple store the other day and became strangely tempted. The problem is that I'm honestly scared to death of some of the stereotypes of the platform, the pricing (I don't have a lot of money to throw away!) and (Coming from the Live Tile interface) the overwhelming "staticness" of the UI and the inability to remove apps from the home screen. At the same time though; I absolutely love the cleanness of the interface and the vast amount of apps on the platform. I'm seriously torn, help!

(Sorry for any typos, I'm half asleep)

Thanks guys!

Be a big boy. Do the research. Then decide. Use your brain, weigh the options then make a choice. Seems simple enough to me.

Why should we try to convince you of anything?

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Hey there. I was pretty integrated with the Android community. I felt really bad at first, like I was betraying my brethren. Seriously though, the iPhone 5c was my first iPhone. It caught my eye and made me get that ambitious feeling.

Sure enough, I still don't regret that purchase. Nor the other sequential purchases afterwards. While I still like Android, I like iOS too. It's okay to own different devices with a variety of OS's on them. I think being able to enjoy technology without any inhibition, it feels positively amazing.

Just get what you'd want, don't let any silly beliefs or standards stop you from savoring what is out there.

Welcome to iMore by the way!

ig33k

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
One of the things that held me back for a while were the specs of the device. I was worried that a device with one GB of RAM isn't able to keep up, but I was wrong. It works a lot better than my note 3 which is a 'monster of specs', so in my opinion, if you like what you see, go for it, don't let anything held you back! Trust me, iOS it's very user friendly and you'll have a great time using it!

Sent from my iPhone 6 PLUS!

BullGuard8

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Be a big boy. Do the research. Then decide. Use your brain, weigh the options then make a choice. Seems simple enough to me.

Why should we try to convince you of anything?

Exactly, no one needs to convince you! it's your choice, your gadget! get what you feel works for you best!

And no, you cannot play with an iPhone at the store and determine if it's for you or not. The only way is to actually use it for a few days.

Do what I did, I had a BlackBerry Q10 and was a BlackBerry fan for 7 years, due to the lack of apps, and just rubbish apps on their AppStore. I traded my Q10 for an iPhone 4S and played with it for a week. Loved how precise the keyboard even though it was a touch screen as compared to other touch screen phones I tried. Loved the apps, quality apps that is, and the OS is very intuitive and nice to use. So since the 4S I had already had iOS 8.1 on it which works very slow on the iPhone 4S, I went ahead and bought an iPhone 6 and was never happier! Amazing battery life, super buttery smooth performance in the OS.

Bottomline: only you can make the choice noone else can convince you to use something if it's not for you

cornettbr

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I was completely against apple products until I bought an iPhone 5. Then I switched back to android for the Galaxy s5 then switched back to the 6+ recently because I wasn't happy with android. I also ended up getting a MacBook even though I always said I never would. I'm not going to say that apple is the end all be all in technology. In my opinion right now they are the highest quality and most stable products on the market. I'm all about the buy cheap buy twice mantra and with Apple, one purchase will last.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77