Considering Switch to SPRINT?

spanishcop

Mar 25, 2009
Visit site
It is my understanding that Verizon has already stated that 3G customers will not be grandfathered into 4G when the new iphone is released. Has there been any announcement reference AT&T doing the same. I"m seeing that AT&T is considering the shared data option just like verizon and even the possibility of want to charge extra for facetime.

It is also my understanding that SPRINT is going to allow unlimited data for 4G when the new iphone is released.
Does anyone know if this will apply for new customers as well or only those who are currently on a unlimited plan.

This may determine whether I need to consider switching to SPRINT and leave AT&T when the New Iphone is released.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
That was not my understanding at ALL. What I got was that if you wanted a subsidized phone from Verizon you would have to pick a new rate plan from Verizon. HOWEVER if you were to obtain your own device, that is buy a retail 4G phone, or trade for one, use someone else's upgrade etc. you COULD still keep your old plan. The key being you not getting a subsidized phone.

Freiteez

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I'm thinking of switching because they already throttle my data every month and I just got a notice saying they will switch my plan because supposedly I "tether my phone" which I don't. Very unhappy with AT&T and will most likely go to Sprint in October or whenever the new iPhone comes out

Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Do you have LTE where you live? The next iPhone is almost certain to support LTE, so if you have LTE from a particular carrier, that is something to keep in mind.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
That was not my understanding at ALL. What I got was that if you wanted a subsidized phone from Verizon you would have to pick a new rate plan from Verizon. HOWEVER if you were to obtain your own device, that is buy a retail 4G phone, or trade for one, use someone else's upgrade etc. you COULD still keep your old plan. The key being you not getting a subsidized phone.

THIS ARTICLE may also be of assistance in this matter.

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

Guy4Tech

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking of switching because they already throttle my data every month and I just got a notice saying they will switch my plan because supposedly I "tether my phone" which I don't. Very unhappy with AT&T and will most likely go to Sprint in October or whenever the new iPhone comes out

I would do the same. AT&T doesn't seem to care to ouch about customer service. When I has Sprint, they were very customer service focused and didn't have any problems. I just hated paying the $10/mo just because I had a 4G phone but no 4G here in Phoenix. Now that extra 10 is just standard for "premium data".

Mike@guy4tech.com

Totalimmortal363

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
If you're getting a message about tethering, you're tethering. AT&T can tell where the data is going. I know it's easier to bash AT&T than own up to the fact that you're tethering without a plan. Man up, get a tethering plan.

smileyboy

Aug 19, 2004
Visit site
I'm on AT&T and I'm leaving... However, I don't think Sprint is the answer, especially of you are concerned about data speeds. I'm in NY currently and live in Denver in both locations a few friends have iPhones on Sprint and the speeds are very slow. Verizon is expensive bit consistent.

Sent from my iP4S using Tapatalk

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
The last carrier I'd go to is Sprint but that's just me. AT&T has been near perfect for me since the original iPhone. At the end of the day you have to go with the carrier that best works for you.

Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Another thing to keep in mind is that Sprint is a CDMA carrier, so you will not be able to use voice/data simultaneously on an iPhone on Sprint's network. The only way to use voice/data simultaneously is if you are connected to a WiFi network for the data.

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, I have an AT&T 4S and get great coverage.

I got a Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch (E4GT) from Sprint a few weeks ago as my replacement work phone (they replaced my aging Blackberry 3G).

Let me say that Sprints' coverage SUCKS... I can be sitting on my couch at home and get 4 bars on my 4S, and none - zero-zip on my my E4GT.. have to turn WiFi on to use the phone (surf, FB, twitter..)...

I'm so thankful my daily driver phone isn't with Sprint...:D:D

agentmobile

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
i recently dropped my Sprint plan, I bought into the idea of having "unlimited" data and opened two lines, one at first and then a 2nd three wks later. One was a galaxy S3 and one was a black iphone 4S. Ended up having HORRIBLE service i was so upset, and on top of that the ****ty S3 broke literally out of the blue just stopped working and froze completely. ending up being somewhat fixable so i sold it to a tech guy i know for 250 he just had to fix it which he knew how to, so i out a crappy old sprint flip phone on that line and used the $250 to open another line with an iPhone (like i should have done at first) i was real happy at first since i had an iphone again and instantly had all my old apps and stuff on the phone from my itunes account, and then the new phone effect faded and i was getting mad because the data speeds were horribly slow. My family has AT&T and their iphones say 4G in the top bar and my sprint phone said 3G but it seriously had like 2G speeds not even. i run Ookla speed tests frequently and i was constantly getting speeds of 0.04-0.30 mbps. Needless to say i was pissed. then all the sudden, i realized "Im still within the first 14 days of this 2nd line!" i went back to radioshack and returned the sprint iPhone, got my $$ back and the ETF was waived. I immediately went to AT&T and added a line onto my Dad's business account with them, i work with him so it worked out, i was paying near $100 per month for horrible Sprint and now im paying $60 per month for this added line on AT&T and that includes mobile insurance which btw sprint does not offer. PLUS i have GSM now and i never realized how handy voice/data at the same time can be as well as complete text messages, CDMA carriers have 160 character max messages so if u send a long text it splits into like 5-6 or however many can be divided 160 characters each (which isnt a lot). and AT&T has the most consistent data plans as far as speed, users who have LTE wont have their speeds drastically reduced when moving out of a LTE area because there is HSPA+ which is basically 4G speeds just not quite as fast as LTE. Im in south florida and its great down here i have been clocking data speeds at 4.00-8.50 mbps consistently. Heres something to remember tho, It is gonna be different everywhere. Carriers dont guarantee coverage because it could be awesome in one spot and horrible 10 ft to the left it is what it is. You have to talk to ppl in your area and see who has the best coverage, everyone i know in new england and florida has either AT&T or Verizon and both work equally as well, but i have yet to find someone in those two areas who are really happy with sprint everyone i know on sprint hates it so much, ill give sprint this tho, they have great customer service, but tbh i could care less about that, thats just me tho. Do whatever u feel is right and be sure to look at all the carriers' coverage maps before deciding, but if u want my opinion im gonna have to say choose between Verizon or AT&T because Sprint is SO far behind those two carriers when it comes to the technology in the radio towers and if ur planning on getting the iPhone 5 your gonna be waiting a long time for consistent reliable 4G LTE from Sprint. Good luck :)

spanishcop

Mar 25, 2009
Visit site
I appreciate all the replies........ I ended up sticking with AT&T. My only complain really was the facetime thing, which means alot to me, but.........

I kept my unlimited Data.... and will be waiting for the Jailbreak to get my 3G unrestrictor app running so I can facetime over cellular.

I've been hearing a lot of negativity on Sprint......and the service is quite weak around here from what I've gathered. Verizon has the strongest signal around here but I won't switch to them. So 2 more years of AT&T.

Mike

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Consider the area you live in before switching to Sprint. I had Sprint until my daughter went off to college in NY and had to switch to AT&T because we literally had no service there. The service coverage was better for her and I also got better coverage in central jersey. I always had problems with holes in my service with Sprint in certain area, if I was on a call I would announce - I'm about to lose service so I will call you back- how embarrassing! They do have a test drive service for 14 days so I would try them out just to see how the coverage is for you before taking the plunge.

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I think SPRINT has crappy coverage, at least here in Northern California. I loose signal in downtown Sacramento and also while in downtown San Francisco..

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrytg4