Cocktail Ripoff

Vitalspark

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I bought Cocktail way back, like many others, it was sold with a lifetime update warranty. Liars! They launched a Mojave Edition & you cannot update cocktail. You need to go back to running High Sierra. You have to buy a new licence to use it with Mojave. They get around this con by allowing the High Sierra edition to run but ONLY if you are running High Sierra which no one does. Why would you not upgrade your OSX? To run an old version of Cocktail? I don't think so. So be warned new editions mean another licence.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Yes, that definitely stinks, but that seems to be the norm these days. Developers make apps that run on OS 1, and then the OS company updates to OS 2 and the app stops working. The developer is faced with abandoning the app, spend more time and resources to update for free, or move to a subscription based process. M$ is already doing it with Office 365 and I suspect Windows will become a subscription service in the future. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple does it too.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Yes, that definitely stinks, but that seems to be the norm these days. Developers make apps that run on OS 1, and then the OS company updates to OS 2 and the app stops working. The developer is faced with abandoning the app, spend more time and resources to update for free, or move to a subscription based process. M$ is already doing it with Office 365 and I suspect Windows will become a subscription service in the future. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple does it too.

I don't know much about the topic Cocktail, but Microsoft has tremendous compatibility with supported operating systems. My user base is approx 750 employees, we have older and new desktop operating systems, and restrictions via vendor-supplied systems. Nowhere do I have a situation where Office 365 will not work. Sure it's most feature rich where we have the Windows 10 conversion done or latest Macs but all the main elements work great.

Software is really being licensed to use someone else's technology or product in most cases so I'm sure we'll see the subscription license model more and more. We might not see it so directly such as buying into the platform in the first place.

Again, I have not read the Cocktail agreement, but I have to for purchases at work and lifetime support or updates are usually limited to the version you buy or a limited range of releases. It makes sense that a company has to set pricing in order to survive.