• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

Can't delete photos - iPhone crashes!

Squampton

Oct 27, 2008
Visit site
Don't know if this is necessary, but some specs:
Laptop: Dell 6400 (T2400@1.83GHz, 1.5GB RAM)
iTunes 8, iPhone 2.2

The only way I can delete photos from my Camera Roll is 1 by 1, manually. This wasn't a problem until I picked up TimeLapse (an excellent app btw) and started snapping 500-1000 photos at a time.

As far as I know there are three ways to get Camera Roll photos off the iPhone and onto a WinXP computer:
1. Use the Scanner and Camera Wizard,
2. Go into the Apple iPhone Properties, and select the 'Save all pictures to this folder:' action,
3. Browse the photos directly in explorer, select and delete.

Options 1 and 2 both have an optional setting that will delete the photos from the iPhone once they've been transferred onto the computer. Using option 3, one should be able to simply select desired photos and hit the Delete key to remove them from the phone.

My problem is that any time I try any of the above options to delete photos from the phone, the iPhone crashes, and reboots. No photos are deleted.

Anyone ever have this problem? Is there another way to remove the photos?

Any insight into my problem would be greatly appreciated.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Can't say I've ever had that issue but it sounds like that app that lets you snap "500-1000 photos" at a time is the problem. Try removing it and testing it out that way. Then at that point decide if that app is worth the crashes. And try emailing the developer to let them know what is happening. Sounds like a major bug. Sorry I can't offer any more advice.

Squampton

Oct 27, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the advice.

Removed the app, synced, tried to delete 1 photo in explorer... success! Tried to delete 2 photos at the same time... FAIL!!!

Difficult to say if the phone always had this problem, or when it developed it.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
If it is that much a pain for you the next step would to do a full restore and set up the phone as new. Don't use a backup file. Hassle yes but if it fixes it... worth it.

Squampton

Oct 27, 2008
Visit site
I might indeed be heading in that direction. After the latest crash my carrier name (Softbank) no longer appears in the top left. Just the signal bars and the wifi icon...

Squampton

Oct 27, 2008
Visit site
This is a stupid question, but if I do a full restore do I have to re-pay for any apps I bought? The more I look at the question I just typed, the stupider it looks, but just in case...

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Nah, all of your apps are stored within your iTunes account. They will all be there waiting for you to re-sync.

Squampton

Oct 27, 2008
Visit site
But dude... it's a Dell!

Looks like it was my laptop after all; I plugged the phone into my gf's laptop and was easily able to delete all the photos at once. Time for a reformat perhaps?

Thanks for all your help Bad Ash!

dwnsouth985

May 4, 2009
Visit site
Don't know if this is necessary, but some specs:
Laptop: Dell 6400 (T2400@1.83GHz, 1.5GB RAM)
iTunes 8, iPhone 2.2

The only way I can delete photos from my Camera Roll is 1 by 1, manually. This wasn't a problem until I picked up TimeLapse (an excellent app btw) and started snapping 500-1000 photos at a time.

As far as I know there are three ways to get Camera Roll photos off the iPhone and onto a WinXP computer:
1. Use the Scanner and Camera Wizard,
2. Go into the Apple iPhone Properties, and select the 'Save all pictures to this folder:' action,
3. Browse the photos directly in explorer, select and delete.

Options 1 and 2 both have an optional setting that will delete the photos from the iPhone once they've been transferred onto the computer. Using option 3, one should be able to simply select desired photos and hit the Delete key to remove them from the phone.

My problem is that any time I try any of the above options to delete photos from the phone, the iPhone crashes, and reboots. No photos are deleted.

Anyone ever have this problem? Is there another way to remove the photos?

Any insight into my problem would be greatly appreciated.

Im having this same problem right now.. but I tried 2 different PC's and still no luck... I restored the phone and still crashes after it uploads the pics and the pics are still on my phone?????? what do i do now

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shanefreedman