Can Gmail push emails to the iPhone 3G?

Libuff

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I am using mobileme which seems to work well.

It would be great to get my Gmail "pushed" via this as well..

Can you get you .me and .gmail accounts to be pushed by mobile me?

simple, as this is what i do...

within Gmail.com preferences, is FORWARDING... simply foward your gmail stuff to your mobileme.com account, and you now have your gmail pushed thru your mobileme.com account...

mullrat

Jun 8, 2008
Visit site
simple, as this is what i do...

within Gmail.com preferences, is FORWARDING... simply foward your gmail stuff to your mobileme.com account, and you now have your gmail pushed thru your mobileme.com account...

That's what I'm doing too. Works very well. Hopefully Google will have push email on the iPhone by december. Or unlikely as it is, an email app of it's own.

berryd

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Doing it this way, when you reply, I assume it comes from your .me account? Is there a way of getting the mails pushed to you in their native form so you can reply with .gmail??

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Doing it this way, when you reply, I assume it comes from your .me account? Is there a way of getting the mails pushed to you in their native form so you can reply with .gmail??

If you look at how I set my FWD from gmail to ymail to get "push for gmail", I can reply direct from ymail as if I was sending from gmail.

Libuff

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
so i got this thing figured out.. BUT.. so far you NEED to be using Me.com which is wasting what were tryign to do here...

i've been able to add the SMTP.GMAIL.COM to the iphone... then turn off SMTP.MAC.COM or ME.COM (whatever)..

now when i send email, its sent as my @gmail.com name... gmail gets email, fowards to mobile me, and i get push email back and forth...

i've tried this with ymail.com so far, and you cannot disable the smtp.yahoo.com server... more to come...

UPDATE:i've also just tried mail2web.com and since its an exchange server, it wount let you use anything BUT its smtp server to send, so no beans there... if anyone finds a PUSH (imapv4) server, which allows you to switch SMTP servers, then you're all set...

Last edited:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
so i got this thing figured out.. BUT.. so far you NEED to be using Me.com which is wasting what were tryign to do here...

i've been able to add the SMTP.GMAIL.COM to the iphone... then turn off SMTP.MAC.COM or ME.COM (whatever)..

now when i send email, its sent as my @gmail.com name... gmail gets email, fowards to mobile me, and i get push email back and forth...

i've tried this with ymail.com so far, and you cannot disable the smtp.yahoo.com server... more to come...

UPDATE:i've also just tried mail2web.com and since its an exchange server, it wount let you use anything BUT its smtp server to send, so no beans there... if anyone finds a PUSH (imapv4) server, which allows you to switch SMTP servers, then you're all set...

I tried so hard a long time ago to get that to work with gmail. I gave up and switched to Mobileme... You might be trying all for nothing. I think you have a better chance of Gmail actually doing something to enable push. Which I doubt we will see.

***Hey this was post 1000 for me... :eek:

Last edited:

vwpowa

Aug 8, 2008
Visit site
Gmail does offer push email service. The software on the client side must support it. It is called IMAP IDLE . So when someone develops software for the iphone that supports IMAP IDLE problem will be solved. Do a google search on it if you want to read up on it.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Yeah, I wasn't able to do that, but if you look at my write up on what I did you can still send from ymail as if you are from gmail by just selecting the from address...yes it takes an extra 10 seconds, but it works. :)

Mindflayer

Aug 21, 2008
Visit site
Gmail does offer push email service. The software on the client side must support it. It is called IMAP IDLE . So when someone develops software for the iphone that supports IMAP IDLE problem will be solved. Do a google search on it if you want to read up on it.

IMAP IDLE (RFC2177) is not PUSH.

Libuff

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
IMAP IDLE (RFC2177) is not PUSH.

THANK YOU!

i keep banging my head on teh desk when people say "imap idle = push" i had a treo with imap idle client on it... it connected to my gmail account, and within 15 minutes my cell battery would be dead. thats IMAP IDLE... push is NOT that connection intensive...

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jp8