Can Airpods still be tracked with Find My Airpods after reset?

caitikitty

Oct 23, 2019
Visit site
OK, so there’s a funny story behind this:

Our truck was broken into last night, and the dumb criminals left their airpods inside!

The police gave them to us to keep, and they have been thoroughly cleaned. We’re thinking about giving them to my 12 year old sister who has wanted airpods for a while now, but even after complete reset, would they still be connected to Find My Airpods?

The last thing we want is a little girl being tracked down by criminals because she has their airpods, it could be very dangerous for her...

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Hello and welcome to iMore! I'm sorry you've had to go through such an experience. Having been the recent victim of a robbery, I well understand your concern about the criminals being able to track anyone who uses the AirPods. In regards to your question, I think that it depends on whether or not the criminals had "Find my AirPods" turned on. Check out this article from Apple.

If I were you, I would actually contact Apple Support and share your concerns. They will be able to give you a precise answer to your question.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
OK, so there’s a funny story behind this:

Our truck was broken into last night, and the dumb criminals left their airpods inside!

The police gave them to us to keep, and they have been thoroughly cleaned. We’re thinking about giving them to my 12 year old sister who has wanted airpods for a while now, but even after complete reset, would they still be connected to Find My Airpods?

The last thing we want is a little girl being tracked down by criminals because she has their airpods, it could be very dangerous for her...

Wait. Are you telling me that police gave you evidence from a crime instead of taking it, dusting it for prints and putting it in evidence lockup? And you’ve gone ahead and “thoroughly cleaned” them and thus wiping away a main avenue of identifying the alleged criminal. Wow!

Last edited:

caitikitty

Oct 23, 2019
Visit site
Wait. Are you telling me that police gave you evidence from a crime instead of taking it, dusting it for prints and putting it in evidence lockup? And you’ve gone ahead and “thoroughly cleaned” them and thus wiping away a main avenue of identifying the alleged criminal. Wow!

The reason that they gave it to us is because my dad had already touched them, thus getting his prints on the evidence, so it was compromised and unable to be tested. That’s what my dad told me, anyways, as I wasn’t there for the investigation.

I was wondering why they couldn’t have just tested the actual airpods/the inside of the case though, unless my dad touched the inside... i’m really not sure

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The reason that they gave it to us is because my dad had already touched them, thus getting his prints on the evidence, so it was compromised and unable to be tested. That’s what my dad told me, anyways, as I wasn’t there for the investigation.

I was wondering why they couldn’t have just tested the actual airpods/the inside of the case though, unless my dad touched the inside... i’m really not sure

The statement below from your initial post is one of the reasons why I’m surprised at the actions of the police.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Anyway, to answer your question, the answer is probably no. If Find My IPhone was enables prior to them being lost then it’s possible that the last known location of them could be displayed for the owner.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site

This sounds like entrapment!

Mars20

Nov 28, 2017
Visit site
This sounds like a very odd story. I wouldn’t want to use any bit of kit a burglar might have left in my property.

wenrob

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
People who bust into cars usually hit multiple cars. My bet is those Air Pods belong to another break in victim. You’d think that would occur to the cops.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Sorry, but I have to go with my gut instinct on this, and that is this sound very odd to me. Police don’t just “give” crime scene items away, even if they’ve been “compromised”. My advice would be to give them to the police, or to the rightful owner, if you know who that is.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, but I have to go with my gut instinct on this, and that is this sound very odd to me. Police don’t just “give” crime scene items away, even if they’ve been “compromised”. My advice would be to give them to the police, or to the rightful owner, if you know who that is.
Indeed

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Urbanwoodsman1966