Can’t hear people and they can’t hear me on voice calls

JM19

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
A few days ago I started having a problem where people can’t hear me and I can’t hear them while on a voice call. Doesn’t matter if I’m calling an android or another iPhone.

I did notice that if I call while on Bluetooth through my car, I can hear them and they can hear me.

Anybody else experience this problem? Solution?

Thanks!

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
A few days ago I started having a problem where people can’t hear me and I can’t hear them while on a voice call. Doesn’t matter if I’m calling an android or another iPhone.

I did notice that if I call while on Bluetooth through my car, I can hear them and they can hear me.

Thanks!

First of all, restart your iPhone.
If that doesn’t fix your issue, try putting it on speaker and see if you can hear people and they you.

This may be caused because you dropped your iPhone. If not, just make an appointment with the Genius Bar and have them check it out.

JM19

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
First of all, restart your iPhone.
If that doesn’t fix your issue, try putting it on speaker and see if you can hear people and they you.

This may be caused because you dropped your iPhone. If not, just make an appointment with the Genius Bar and have them check it out.

Tried restarting phone and it seemed to help but only temporarily. Problem continues. On Speaker people can hear me and I can hear them but sometimes the speaker button is grayed out and I can use it. I haven't dropped the phone at all and it's been in a full case since day one.

Would a reset and restore help in this case? I don't have much free time to go to the Apple Store to visit the Genius Bar, and the nearest one is not very close to me.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Since you don't have time to get to the Genius Bar, have you considered contact Apple Support online? You can opt to do an online chat, or to have them call you. They can do alot of diagnostic work and I've found them to be quite helpful. It might help you to figure out what's going on...

JM19

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Since you don't have time to get to the Genius Bar, have you considered contact Apple Support online? You can opt to do an online chat, or to have them call you. They can do alot of diagnostic work and I've found them to be quite helpful. It might help you to figure out what's going on...

Thank for the suggestion.

New findings: Speaker button is grayed out when trying to make a call. I noticed I can't do a voice memo, record button is grayed out. Also, can't dictate text message and Siri also doesn't work.

iPhone is actually my wife's so she's been giving me bits and pieces of information about the problem.

JM19

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Chatted with Apple Support online and they determined the problem is hardware related. Made an appointment @ the Genius Bar after all. It was either that or mail the iPhone. Support tech said Apple has a program in place for this specific problem and they will most likely swap out the phone for a new (assuming refurnished) iPhone 7 at no cost.

Weird how this problem just started out of nowhere. Read online problem could be related to iOS 11.3 but the iPhone has been running on 11.3 for sometime now.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Chatted with Apple Support online and they determined the problem is hardware related. Made an appointment @ the Genius Bar after all. It was either that or mail the iPhone. Support tech said Apple has a program in place for this specific problem and they will most likely swap out the phone for a new (assuming refurnished) iPhone 7 at no cost.

Weird how this problem just started out of nowhere. Read online problem could be related to iOS 11.3 but the iPhone has been running on 11.3 for sometime now.

That is weird!!! I'm glad you're making progress! Keep us posted on how things go with you at the Genius bar!!!

JM19

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Went to the Apple Store earlier today and they ran a diagnostic test on the phone. Ended up giving my wife a new (most likely refurbished) iPhone. There were two other people by us who had the same exact problem.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site

Thanks!

Well I was going to suggest that you make sure bluetooth was off and try again. Sound like your phone was connecting to a bluetooth device.

Jan 27, 2018
Visit site
Thank for the suggestion.

New findings: Speaker button is grayed out when trying to make a call. I noticed I can't do a voice memo, record button is grayed out. Also, can't dictate text message and Siri also doesn't work.

iPhone is actually my wife's so she's been giving me bits and pieces of information about the problem.

Speaker button greyed out usually leads to audio IC issue motherboard repair. Best to take the device into your nearest Apple store or your favorite repair shop

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vber