Calendar change?

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Here's a brain teaser for some techy out there. On the iPhone, if you go into International Settings, then Region Format, and change the setting from let's say U.S. to U.K., when you tap on the calendar icon the monthly calendar changes from Sunday as the first day of the week, to Monday. I've been to the U.K., and as far as i remember the first day of the week(on paper calendars) is still Sunday. I'm stumped, but i would appreciate an answer. Thank you.:confused:

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
There is no technical reason for it. It is because Sunday is considered as the 7th day of the week due to the fact we are a largely Christian country. This makes Monday obviously the 1st day and the cal reflects this.
Most of our paper calendars do indeed start on Sunday but everything electronic is Monday. I assume this is because they are shipped in from over-seas and are generic!

I guess that Sunday is considered the 1st day of the week across the US??

Reactions: anon(631531)

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
When I teach the calendar in school and explain that in France, as in most of Europe, Monday is the first day of the week, the kids all agree that it makes perfect sense.

Nobody knows why Sunday is listed on calendars in the US as the first day of the week when everyone agrees it's the 7th.

Reactions: anon(631531)

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
There is no technical reason for it. It is because Sunday is considered as the 7th day of the week due to the fact we are a largely Christian country. This makes Monday obviously the 1st day and the cal reflects this.
Most of our paper calendars do indeed start on Sunday but everything electronic is Monday. I assume this is because they are shipped in from over-seas and are generic!

I guess that Sunday is considered the 1st day of the week across the US??

Yes, that is correct. However, i now understand about starting the week on Monday, and it does make sense. Thanks for the reply.

Viddy363

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
The reason for the Sunday confusion is as follows:

Based on the Judeo-Christian creation story, God created the universe in 6 days and rested on the seventh day, the Sabbath day ie Saturday. This is why orthodox Jewish people still rest on Saturdays. Jesus Christ rose from the death on Sunday, hence Christians changed the day of rest to Sunday.

It's no wonder people get confused as to what day the week begins on! The bible says rest on the last day of the week in Christian countries (or countries that used to consider themselves Christian) we usually rest on Sunday, so thus people assume that Sunday is the last day of the week.

So that's why even calendars get confused!

I think everyone on this forum gets the gist of it, but I thought I'd give my two cents worth!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxgyllsdoll