Best Anti Virus for Mac OS

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I have had several friends who are converting from PC to Mac and are always asking me what anti virus software I would recommend for Mac OS.

I know there are pros and cons to running anti virus software, just thought I would reach out and see if someone has any running on their machine and share their thoughts.

I have been using DR.Webb for many years, but they are falling behind and don’t have a current version for Big Sur and can’t tell me when one will be available. Any suggestions are welcome.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I was an Eset user for years. Recently tried BitDefender as it seems to come up at the top of the list in many web searches. While I do like it, there's an annoying VPN service that's also installed.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I've been happy with Bitdefender and see it two ways. As an enterprise admin it's also a component in Cisco AMP. I have it at a site to small for AMP's min 25 licenses. Overall no complaints about compatibility, performance and effectiveness.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I used Sophos on my personal Mac. Stopped using it with Big Sur, due to incompatibility.

Professionally, when I still used a MacBook Pro, we used System Center Endpoint Protection, which is no longer available.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I use Malwarebytes. The free version, which means I have to manually run scans. I think I accidentally partially deleted it and then that version didn't work the big sur beta version I was on. I tried Sophos in the meanwhile. Then Malwarebytes had an update and I could use it again. It found multiple things Sophos missed.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the input folks, as with others, I used Dr.Webb for many years without any issues, but seems they are falling behind on updating their software to Big Sur.

Looks like I am going to look at BitDefender, seems to be at the top of the list.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I have been using Malwarebytes free version and it is great. I haven’t tried bit-defender, I am looking into it also.

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Malwarebytes was suggested to me by a long time iMac/ MacBook user. I have no complaints and it runs completely in the background.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox