Virus prevention for a Mac?

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I know, I know. A lot of people don’t use antivirus on their Mac. And looking in the App Store I see no familiar names.

Does anyone use virus protection and what do you use?

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I know, I know. A lot of people don’t use antivirus on their Mac. And looking in the App Store I see no familiar names.

Does anyone use virus protection and what do you use?

I used Sophos for multiple years. I stoped using it after a macOS update broke it, before they restored their support.

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
I only restarted using Macs in early 2021 after a 15+ year hiatus. So I’m likely quite a bit less Mac fluent than others posting. With that said, I don’t use any protection. So far so good. Now about two weeks ago I did get a repeated Safari Banner pop up saying I’ve got 3 infections. Yea, good one. I killed Safari (I exclusively and only use Safari) and restarted (don’t restore sessions). Problem was gone. Though for anyone who clicked the banner to presumably take you to a webpage that looks ‘Virus Now Scanning” official, maybe they’d now need protection.
I also only use apps from the Mac App Store, presumably that helps. But I do visit websites that are probably not going to be, ahem, the most malware free :)

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I only restarted using Macs in early 2021 after a 15+ year hiatus. So I’m likely quite a bit less Mac fluent than others posting. With that said, I don’t use any protection. So far so good. Now about two weeks ago I did get a repeated Safari Banner pop up saying I’ve got 3 infections. Yea, good one. I killed Safari (I exclusively and only use Safari) and restarted (don’t restore sessions). Problem was gone. Though for anyone who clicked the banner to presumably take you to a webpage that looks ‘Virus Now Scanning” official, maybe they’d now need protection.
I also only use apps from the Mac App Store, presumably that helps. But I do visit websites that are probably not going to be, ahem, the most malware free :)

I’m VERY conservative when it comes to what I put on my devices and NEVER use anything that’s not in the App Store. But I can’t find TurboTax and I will need to download that from Inuit.

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
I’m VERY conservative when it comes to what I put on my devices and NEVER use anything that’s not in the App Store. But I can’t find TurboTax and I will need to download that from Inuit.

Totally understand, sometimes it’s needed from elsewhere when it comes to the Mac App Store. best of luck working it out.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal