Battery Issues

murtzjaffer

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi all.

I recently had my iPhone replaced at the Genius Bar because of a speaker issue. The replacement phone has fixed the speaker problem but I fear it has presented me with a new issue. The battery life isn't nearly as good as it was on my original phone.

When I got the new phone, I did an iCloud restore. My preference would be not to set up as new because I don't want to lose all of my text messages.

Is there a way a know if the battery itself is faulty? The Apple Store said the diagnostic ran fine but I just used it to check email after a full charge and have already lost 5% in like 12 minutes

Thanks

Brian W1

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
How long have you had it? If things are still downloading that will hurt it a lot. Also, do you have all of you notifications set the same? iCloud won't put all of your network settings the same. It will do some things but not others. I'd wait a few weeks to see if it doesn't get better. During those few weeks, try to check things like push notifications for mail, screen time out, screen brightness, search for wifi, etc are set the same as they were on your old phone.

murtzjaffer

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I have had the new phone for exactly a week. Nothing is currently downloading but I have this app that monitors battery usage and it just said I had 17 hours left and then jumped down to 12 hours left in the last 30 minutes

The Apple Support team wants me to set up the phone as new again but I am always apprehensive about doing this as I have had major restore issues in the past.

I don't have push notifications for mail. I have lowered screen brightness down to nothing. Any other tips to help me test it?

Also typically how long should the battery last with heavy usage?

Brian W1

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
In my experience, the battery monitor app was killing my old 6 plus. You may want to try deleting it for a day just to see. Also, have you powered down the phone since you did your iCloud install? I'd try that too. If I can think of anymore tips I'll post them.

murtzjaffer

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Haven't powered down since the iCloud. That's a good one. I will try that. Also I just finished backing up on both iTunes and iCloud. I am debating my stance on trying to set up as new.

The other thing i did was using that new Polar Pack Express charging thing with the Otterbox Universe case. Could that be related to the issues that I am now experiencing?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Also, keep in mind the big 3 battery users are Screen brightness, push notifications, and location services. Keep screen brightness down as much as possible, disable push notifications from anything not really neccessary, and set location services to either never or "while using app". An exception might be your weather apps. Sometimes an app goes rogue. Swipe out any you suspect that may be using to much battery. Then do a hard reset. Be sure Background App Refresh is on for apps you suspect may be using too much. This helps them run in the background more efficiently.
Give yourself time to settle in with the new phone.

murtzjaffer

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I only added the battery app yesterday and deleted last night after the earlier user's recommendation. I have found that there is a big zap in power after a couple of hours of usage. I am currently tracking. It is 11 AM and I just turned it on after a full charge. I am using only mildly. I am at 99%

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. What would really help is an idea of how long your batteries last with moderate to heavy usage?

Do you mean per charge, or lifetime? Either way, it's hard to say. A lot depends on what you do. I'm a heavy user. When my iPhone 6s Plus was new, I got around 11 to 12 hours usage time. A year and a half later I get about 7 hours usage time, sometimes less. Lifetime, it should last a couple years. Could be more, depending on your usage.

murtzjaffer

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I just mean per charge. I am also a very heavy user. On the 7 plus before they replaced it, I would get 11 hours use with no problem.

erasat

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
When you check your battery stats, are the battery standby and usage the same, it after a while they begin to increase in sync? If so, check if you have iCloud for windows installed in a nearby computer, if you do Uninstall iCloud for Windows do a reboot and do a Full charge and see if it gets better.

Check a thread of mine that I created here a couple of weeks ago, it explains everything. But yes,but had been confirmed by at least 4 people over the Apple support forums that had the same issue to have fixed it after uninstalling ICloud for Windows.

murtzjaffer

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Happy to report that the issue seems to have corrected itself. Thanks to Brian W1 because I believe powering down the phone really helped.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77