Assigning Text Tone to One Contact iPad and iPhone.

Wallace

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
I have an iPad and an iPhone and wish to assign a unique text alert tone to one contact.
I can easily do this with the built in tones, but not it seems, with one I downloaded from the iTunes Store.

With the two devices side by side both open on the individuals contacts page, if I alter their text tone on one device it immediately changes to the same alert tone on the other. Great. That’s working.

However, if I use an alert tone that I have downloaded from the iTunes Store, it doesn’t seem to work.

Firstly, I have made sure that the tone has been downloaded to both devices. Again, with both devices open at the individuals contacts page side by side, when I select my new alert tone on one device and select it it works fine on that device, but on the other, whatever had been previously selected changes to ‘Opening’ which is a default Apple text alert tone.

If I then try to change that to the new tone, it does so, but on the other device that did have the new tone on, now changes to ‘Opening’.

So in summary, I can have my new text alert tone working for a contact, but only on one device at a time. It just appears to toggle when I select it on another device.

It’s driving me mad. Can any one help please?

Wallace

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
Thank you for taking time to reply.

I have performed a soft reset on both devices and also powering off one device while a assign the new text tone on the other. Unfortunately as soon as I turn on the device, the same occurs. The device I had changed the tone for the new one is OK, but the device I have just turned on, alters to ‘Opening’ which is the default tone.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for taking time to reply.

I have performed a soft reset on both devices and also powering off one device while a assign the new text tone on the other. Unfortunately as soon as I turn on the device, the same occurs. The device I had changed the tone for the new one is OK, but the device I have just turned on, alters to ‘Opening’ which is the default tone.

Can you turn off the sync for that? Then set them up separately?

Wallace

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
Not that I am aware of.

Even more weirdly, I can set the same new alert tone to be the default tone for all contacts, and when I do that it does sync ok on both devices, but not when I want it to be the default for just one contact.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
FWIW, it works for me. I do use iCloud contact sync (as opposed to Google contacts or Exchange sync) and I do use a tone that I purchased from somewhere else than the iTunes Store, so the tone is manually installed on both of my iPhones and my iPad.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77