• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

Are All Third-Party Keyboards Keystroke Loggers?

netnative

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Please click on ?About Third-Party Keyboards & Privacy? in Keyboards Settings and read carefully. Apple states that "f you enable Full Access, developers are permitted to access, collect and transmit all the data you type.? This means to ?transmit that information to the keyboard developer?s servers.? Therefore, enabling "full access" is tantamount to installing a keystroke logger for the developer. Moreover, some third-party keyboards are ?free.? I have read that when you do not pay for an app you are the product rather than the customer. Is there a third-party keyboard that does not require "full access" for predictive text or are all third-party keyboards keystroke loggers?

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Technically, yes, they are all keyboard loggers. Including the one that Apple gives you as part of the device. In order for a keyboard to work, it has to "intercept" the keyboard data stream. Whether you trust the developer or not is up to you.

netnative

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Technically, yes, they are all keyboard loggers. Including the one that Apple gives you as part of the device. In order for a keyboard to work, it has to "intercept" the keyboard data stream. Whether you trust the developer or not is up to you.

My issue is not with the third-party keyboard intercepting the data stream but with transmitting the data outside the device. BlackBerry OS 10 has a great keyboard with predictive text and I have not read that the data I type is transmitted to BlackBerry.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
My issue is not with the third-party keyboard intercepting the data stream but with transmitting the data outside the device. BlackBerry OS 10 has a great keyboard with predictive text and I have not read that the data I type is transmitted to BlackBerry.
Like I said, it's up to you to decide if you trust the developer or not. SwitftKey, Swype and (I think) Flesky have both been around for some time on other platforms with no security/privacy issues I'm aware of.

netnative

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Like I said, it's up to you to decide if you trust the developer or not. SwitftKey, Swype and (I think) Flesky have both been around for some time on other platforms with no security/privacy issues I'm aware of.

I downloaded SwiftKey and deleted it soon after reading the Full Access warning.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I downloaded SwiftKey and deleted it soon after reading the Full Access warning.

That is entirely your prerogative, of course. I've been using Swiftkey for years on my Android devices and have never experienced anything untoward. As gordol says, Swiftkey and Swype etc are very well established in the community and none of them have exhibited any security flaws or issues.

You pays yer money, yer takes yer choice. It's entirely up to you whether you trust them or not.

Personally I prefer the stock keyboard because of the voice input function that is not currently available on third party keyboards. However, if Swiftkey add that plus a top row of numbers into the keyboard then I would go back to it happily.

sau124

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
Yes, all the third party keyboards are loggers. If I understand it right, Apple keyboard is not a logger as the logic is built within the software.

As with more advance recommendations that some of these new keyboards provide they have to log every keystroke and every sentence for better guesses. Easy target for hackers to get all the information.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It's not an issue. Apple restricts the 3rd Party keyboards from security sensitive places, like the App Store, Bank apps, PayPal, Amazon, QVC, The Apple Store app and etc. they may not work in Safari either.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
My bank app allowed swiftkey to be used so I switched to the stock keyboard to input my info.
Did you type anything on your bank app? I was using SwiftKey, and went to the App Store. When I tried to review an app, I could not see the text field. Apple was blocking it. So if you had typed in your bank app, you and the SwiftKey would not have seen the text.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mohammadreza