Apple TV/Airplay Advice?

The_Razza

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
Apple TV/Airplay Advice

Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone can give some helpful advice around which Apple TV would be suitable here.

As of this coming Xmas my Mum will be pretty much all in with iOS, she already has an iPad and this year my Dad is getting her an iPhone.

I know she wants to be able to copy what I do with my Android devices and Chromecast but as she is an iOS user I'm suspecting Chromecast isn't going to be the best way for her but rather something more native such as Apple TV and Airplay.

First a question, is AirPlay capable of just mirroring the display as is possible qith Chromecast, as well as individual apps having their own inbuilt AirPlay support?

Also, given that really all my Mum would ever use this for is the likes of YouTube, would the current model Apple TV be suitable? The new Apple TV obviously looks great for apps and gaming etc. but I think it would be overkill for her use case so if anyone could give an opinion on this I would be very grateful and hopefully I've been able to communicate the question well enough lol.

Thanks in advance guys.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Apple TV/Airplay Advice

...is AirPlay capable of just mirroring the display as is possible qith Chromecast, as well as individual apps having their own inbuilt AirPlay support?
AirPlay allows streaming of video from an AirPlay capable device. In regard to the TV, your mum can stream something from her iPad to her TV by way of the TV.

Also, given that really all my Mum would ever use this for is the likes of YouTube, would the current model Apple TV be suitable?
Yes, it is suitable.

scwleung

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site

Other folks on the forum may correct me (and please do), but AirPlay support in iOS is built-in at the OS level. This means that AirPlay streaming can happen on any screen and any app (as long as the phone hardware supports it) - hardware compatibility here (https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204289).

The current Apple TV does just fine with YouTube streaming. There's a built-in YouTube app on the set top box, but you can also AirPlay from the YouTube iOS app as well. Inputting text on the current Apple TV is a bit annoying though, so I'd AirPlay from the phone, or install the Remote app on the phone to control the Apple TV.

Mike1138

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site

If she is only going to use it for YouTube then you can still use a Chromecast. The iOS YouTube app works great with Chromecast. I'm not sure if you can mirror iOS to an Apple TV the same way Android/Chromecast works. I'm interested to hear an answer to that as well!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77