App gui design guidelines

phix95

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
Wow...I'm surprised at how few threads (and thus designers) there are here...
I wanted to know...I'm trying to design an interface design for an app for a client (probably non-paid but that's another rant) and its a fitness-based app.
Questions are:
1) In general, how close to I need to stay to the standard Apple "look"? I've read they prefer you don't stray too far from it as users expect to know what to do when they open an app.
2) If I do make changes in this type of app design (a tool/productivity app), how different can the graphics really be? It's not like a game where you can go kind of crazy. It's something that you look at and use for interval training--timing your sets--so I'd think it shouldn't be very fancy.

I've never done this before so I have to do all this research in addition to the design.
Any thoughts on how I should approach the design?

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
If you deviate from the guidelines just because you think you have a better idea, you need to be prepared for rejection.

If you truly have a new control, that is intuitive to use and fits the unique nature of your application, you will be fine

-t

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Really it can be as different as you want! Just try to follow the basic structure. And, if you come up with something really beautiful and unique, Apple will definitely appreciate it.

There are plenty of apps on the app store that use their own totally unique UI. Some crappy, some great. Apple is pretty lax in this respect in terms of app approval, as long as it isn't confusing and totally backwards.

Then again there are some super confusing apps on the app store, even pretty successful ones.

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Having had several apps rejected because we did not follow guidelines for controls, I would disagree with your assessment.

-t

DannyMichel

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Having had several apps rejected because we did not follow guidelines for controls, I would disagree with your assessment.

-t

You're talking controls, they are talking design.
Lot of iPhone apps with unique designs. Apple is fine with unique design

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jmb87