Anyone interested in the Galaxy Note 8 instead of iPhone X?

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I have both and the size is the big difference between the two. With Android you can change the font size through out the entire device but on apple you can’t. Both nice devices but the note is the true winner all around IMO.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Nope. I don’t see myself buying another Android device.
I’m home to stay.
I’ll try whatever comes up next as a viable third platform as a side device though.

Eddster

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Most people think the Note 8 screen is better than the iPhone X because of the higher ppi count. I️ have both phones and I️ happen to like the color accuracy of the iPhone X more. Also, I️ was initially very impressed with watching HDR content via Netflix on my Note 8, well I️ watched an episode of Stranger Things in HDR in both phones side-by-side and the iPhone X blew me away. Stranger things is a very dark show so lots of scenes with nothing but inky blacks and great contrast against the other colors in the scene. I️ don’t know if the difference is because Apple has implemented Dolby Vision HDR and Samsung uses the HDR 10 protocol, but the difference was definitely noticeable. Note even the Note 8 could compete. Apple really knocked it out of the park with this thing.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
Most people think the Note 8 screen is better than the iPhone X because of the higher ppi count. I️ have both phones and I️ happen to like the color accuracy of the iPhone X more. Also, I️ was initially very impressed with watching HDR content via Netflix on my Note 8, well I️ watched an episode of Stranger Things in HDR in both phones side-by-side and the iPhone X blew me away. Stranger things is a very dark show so lots of scenes with nothing but inky blacks and great contrast against the other colors in the scene. I️ don’t know if the difference is because Apple has implemented Dolby Vision HDR and Samsung uses the HDR 10 protocol, but the difference was definitely noticeable. Note even the Note 8 could compete. Apple really knocked it out of the park with this thing.
I tested my S8+ and iPhone X tonight using Dr. Strange on Netflix and I felt my X looked much better too. I don't have the Netflix plan that includes HDR. Been waiting until I get an HDR TV, but even in just HD the X looked better.
Not all video does though. I've watched YouTube vids that the S8+ looks better.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

The difference is likely in the oversaturated colors on the Samsung. The problem is, when you oversaturate the colors it makes everything darker. When you get a truly dark scene, then the oversaturated tends to look "super-saturated," which makes the colors all so dark they become hard to distinguish from each other.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
The difference is likely in the oversaturated colors on the Samsung. The problem is, when you oversaturate the colors it makes everything darker. When you get a truly dark scene, then the oversaturated tends to look "super-saturated," which makes the colors all so dark they become hard to distinguish from each other.

My impression of high end Samsung phones is also that they tend to oversaturate colours. Are there difference display modes available on the Note 8?

anon(41073)

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
Not a big fan of phones that size. The X is the perfect size to screen ratio of any phone that I've ever had thus far. Now if only Google can reduce the bezels on the smaller pixel,then I'll have two perfect size phones.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
My impression of high end Samsung phones is also that they tend to oversaturate colours. Are there difference display modes available on the Note 8?

Yes, the Note 8 has different display modes. I think all of them oversaturate, to some degree, by default, though one of them has sliders so you can adjust the colors.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I wouldn't say instead, but along with my iPhone X. Instead of the Note 8 I think I'm gonna pick up a Sony Xperia XZ2 when it releases.

markyoung04

Mar 19, 2018
Visit site
I have been an Android fanboy for years - plenty of time spent unlocking bootloaders and putting custom ROMs on my devices - fell in line with Samsung around the Note 2 time and have every phone they put out since then minus the Note 7 debacle (fate). I have a small business and switched over 6 lines, which has afforded me the opportunity to play with the iPhone X...my first attempt at Apple outside of trouble shooting the kids' phones and tablets and setting up the wife's as well.

I have wasted so much time jumping back and forth over the past 2 weeks my hands are cramping from spending so much time holding the phones. I honestly am on the fence, so much to love about both:
* Note 8 - LOVE the ability to truly customize my interface - using robust car dock apps like car home ultra is way ahead the game IMO. Also I have a samsung TV so being able to so easily mirror my screen is being missed as i use the X. I have a tablet so I don't watch movies on the screens, but the larger surface area makes reading on the Note easier on these old eyes.

*iPhone X - I actually really like the look and feel of this phone. Fast, responsive, and gestures are easy to master. Being able to FaceTime the kids and wife is a HUGE ecosystem advantage but I guess you have to put that as a iphone x win similar to the Samsung TV mirroring :) Along with that comes being able to see that my teenage son's phone is where he says he is using the native feature of the OS is nice as well. Being able to use this phone one handed easier is a plus as well.

Have honestly not decided, but leaning towards giving Apple a shot for a year - can always go back.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
Being able to FaceTime the kids and wife is a HUGE ecosystem advantage but I guess you have to put that as a iphone x win similar to the Samsung TV mirroring

It's hard to use anything else when your wife/kids/parents all use iPhones. Find iPhone is great with young teenagers.

I have a Samsung TV, i just got a 4K APTV :) solves your other issue and some.

Have honestly not decided, but leaning towards giving Apple a shot for a year - can always go back.

I use to swap a bit now i just stick with iPhones. X.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77