• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

An alternative to "goodbye Siri"?

Douglas M

May 2, 2016
Visit site
I used to be able to say "Go away, Siri" but these days, it has been reprogrammed to make me treat it as though it isn't software but has real feelings. I get the response "that isn't very polite" (which isn't very helpful).

So, I have to remember to say "Goodbye Siri" which, for some reason, gets picked up by other things I sometimes say. I also do not feel 'goodbye' is right, since I am keeping Siri with me but just don't want it listening. (For some reason, I don't have the same problem telling Siri to 'go away' .. I know that isn't consistent!)

I know I could probably edit the text of "Go away, Siri" to say "Goodbye Siri" but this could have unintended ramifications.

Is there any way (for a user without coding abiliity on the iPad) to add a command, even for an existing action, so that I can go back to telling Siri to go away (or maybe to something like "stop listening Siri")?

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I used to be able to say "Go away, Siri" but these days, it has been reprogrammed to make me treat it as though it isn't software but has real feelings. I get the response "that isn't very polite" (which isn't very helpful).

So, I have to remember to say "Goodbye Siri" which, for some reason, gets picked up by other things I sometimes say. I also do not feel 'goodbye' is right, since I am keeping Siri with me but just don't want it listening. (For some reason, I don't have the same problem telling Siri to 'go away' .. I know that isn't consistent!)

I know I could probably edit the text of "Go away, Siri" to say "Goodbye Siri" but this could have unintended ramifications.

Is there any way (for a user without coding abiliity on the iPad) to add a command, even for an existing action, so that I can go back to telling Siri to go away (or maybe to something like "stop listening Siri")?

Sure. If you’re running iOS 11, go to Settings→ Siri & Search, and then disable the toggle next to “Listen for Hey Siri”.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blin