• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

activating iOS 12

lockiedean77

Feb 14, 2019
Visit site
currently I’m using an iPad mini 2 WiFi version. I know that I bought a refurbished iPad.

initially it was on iOS 9. tech news free netflix
I am able to update it to iOS 11 without any issues. (OTA updates)

however, after I updated it to iOS 12 (through iTunes - as I accidentally accept for iTunes to auto update it), I am unable to activate it at all.

if I try to activate it through WiFI, it keeps saying that activation server is unavailable, despite on Apple website says otherwise. I had been trying this since iOS 12 is released.

if I try to activate it through iTunes, it asks me to insert a SIM card (I am using WiFI only version).

anyone can help me on this? I already asked in Apple Support, no answers.

Last edited:

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Who did you buy the unit from? Do you have a SIM card to use to at least activate the unit using iTunes?

Otherwise as other folks have said, wait for Apple Support to reply.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
currently I’m using an iPad mini 2 WiFi version. I know that I bought a refurbished iPad.

initially it was on iOS 9. I am able to update it to iOS 11 without any issues. (OTA updates)

however, after I updated it to iOS 12 (through iTunes - as I accidentally accept for iTunes to auto update it), I am unable to activate it at all.

if I try to activate it through WiFI, it keeps saying that activation server is unavailable, despite on Apple website says otherwise. I had been trying this since iOS 12 is released.

if I try to activate it through iTunes, it asks me to insert a SIM card (I am using WiFI only version).

anyone can help me on this? I already asked in Apple Support, no answers.

Did you download the ipsw file for iOS 12 and then tried to use iTunes to install it? If so, you may have downloaded the wrong file. Put the device in DFU mode, delete the ipsw file from the computer and then have iTunes download and install the correct iOS file for your specific device.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blin