• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

3G iPhone: 5MP camera?

nsquared

May 31, 2008
Visit site
I know this is all wishful guessing right now, but does anyone know if Apple is planning to do a major upgrade to the camera? Like, let's say, 5MP? I have not heard of rumors in this department and not having to carry a separate camera would really improve it's usefulness, IMHO.

isitnyu

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
i have heard that the camera is going to be one ridiculous high mp level. if its around 5, that would be amazing, but is it able to have flash? Video chat would be very cool, but i think its not necessary...

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
i have heard that the camera is going to be one ridiculous high mp level. if its around 5, that would be amazing, but is it able to have flash? Video chat would be very cool, but i think its not necessary...
I agree. I don't see myself using video chat, but who knows, there are those rare instances. I don't think the 3G iPhone will have flash, and 5 mgpxls would be really nice.

burnsaa

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
Ya I'm pretty sure it won't have a flash they are already adding a crapload of new battery hogging tech that I think that would be an overload.

Muero

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
I would love an upgrade to 4 or 5 megapixels in the next iPhone. I never ever carry a camera, but I've noticed since I got the iPhone that I take pictures quite often. I just wish the pictures were better than 2.0 megapixels with no zoom.

The chip rumored to power the 3G iPhone's multimedia supports up to 5 megapixels, and that probably wouldn't be a huge cost increase. It still wouldn't be as useful as even a basic standalone digital camera, without flash, zoom, custom settings, etc., but like I said, I don't carry around a camera anyway, so this would be very useful for me.

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
Yeah I do take more pictures now that I carry the phone with me. But my only concern is how dirty the lens gets when I carry around in my pocket. Cleaning it is no big deal cause it is flush with the phone, but when you have a case on it, it becomes a bit more difficult.

gadgetluva

Mar 4, 2005
Visit site
After being a WM user for the past several years (and also using BB and Palm OS devices), I think I'm ready for a change. A nicer camera would be nice to have for those impromptu shots of anything, especially with summer in Chicago approaching. Hopefully, given that the iPhone is a multimedia-centric device, it will bundle a higher MP camera. I don't need 5, but a solid 2-3mp camera that is of really good (ie nokia or SE quality) would be preferred.

IrishJK09

May 30, 2008
Visit site
2-3 is honestly fine for a cellphone camera. They just need to improve the quality of the lens and add some better auto-focus and auto-balance features. A flash would be nice too. My problems with the existing iPhone camera don't stem from using it outdoors, but indoors. If you go out on a nice sunny day, you can take some really nice shots with the current camera. Take away the ample lighting of the sun and replace it with a normal, shaded lamp and you have a different story altogether.

So, yeah... If not a higher megapixel count, at least improve what is there hardware wise. Video wouldn't even require a new camera as it can be added via software, which is what most cellphone video cameras use. Just look at the BlackBerry Curve for an example. It has had a regular camera since its launch, but the new OS upgrade will give it video recording.

Last edited:

neolite

May 31, 2008
Visit site
CrazEtooN has it spot on I think. The lens and lighting control matter so much more in how the pictures actually turn out. Outside on sunny days, the pictures are great. Indoors, unless its REALLY BRIGHT, the camera barely works at all. With the needed higher exposure times, the preview window just seems terribly slow as well.

A lot of small software changes could also be good, such as user controlled exposure times, light balance, etc.

Limozulu

May 31, 2008
Visit site
5MP camera, nice, but I didn't see any difference between the SE K530i 2MP and Nokia N73 3.2 or N95 5MP, in my opinion, the more important part is good flash, fast camera that you don't need to wait alot from clicking the button till you have the pic. also depends on the capturing app, I like SE but I dont like Nokia cameras,

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shanefreedman