Why can't I comment on iMore?....

BuddyBurrows

Sep 4, 2019
Visit site
This is the second or third time that I've tried to make a respectful comment on an article here since joining in 2019 and have been stymied. The first reason was that I didn't have enough "reputation" to post a URL, but there was no URL in the post. Just a reference to the older iTools article that I was praising.

Then I was told I couldn't post anything for 80 seconds, a fascinating length of time.

And then finally I was told I didn't have enough reputation to post on an older article from 2016...

I was even trying to post a comment regarding spam and the Apple domains, but iMore's spam features seem to block me.

I've never had such a difficult time trying to post something relevant and interesting and have had zero success so far...

What gives?

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
This is the second or third time that I've tried to make a respectful comment on an article here since joining in 2019 and have been stymied. The first reason was that I didn't have enough "reputation" to post a URL, but there was no URL in the post. Just a reference to the older iTools article that I was praising.

Then I was told I couldn't post anything for 80 seconds, a fascinating length of time.

And then finally I was told I didn't have enough reputation to post on an older article from 2016...

I was even trying to post a comment regarding spam and the Apple domains, but iMore's spam features seem to block me.

I've never had such a difficult time trying to post something relevant and interesting and have had zero success so far...

What gives?

Hi Buddy! I'm sorry you're having these issues. At this point, I am uncertain why you're having these issues. I'm working on trying to figure this out, and in the meantime, hopefully, someone else here will chime in!

HelloNNNewman

Administrator
Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
@BuddyBurrows - sorry for the issues. We don't employ any 'reputation points' and anytime a member experiences an issue like this we ask them to clear their browser cache, restart the browser and try again. It's a glitch in the matrix and unfortunately happens once in a while. We know it's very annoying, but appreciate your patience!

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I can try to give you some of my reputation, but, you need to be careful, I only have a bad reputation.

It also appears you have the ability to post, but just not in 5 year old single post threads. I tried a test reply to the post in question and it states that my reply requires moderator approval before becoming visible.

I find that it's always best to let old threads die. Especially old single post threads.

BuddyBurrows

Sep 4, 2019
Visit site
Oh, well I wish I'd gotten that error message weeks ago...

Seems a shame to not be able to do that on some historical threads like this one. I can understand wanting to fight spam and bots and such, but this particular article was one of the top hits when I was writing about iTools and wanted to make sure my history was correct.

Here's what I tried to post:

This is a wonderful history of iTools. So nostalgic to see the eWorld interface again after 25+ years! Haha! I remember the days when AOL was like the Apple of the internet and Compuserve a bit more Microsoft-like.

I doubt Apple will ever open up (for registration) the dot mac domain again, which is a shame, but I sure wish they would allow user spam management. Been begging them to simply allow us the ability to specifically block domains for years. It’s so easy to do this with the domains I own hosted at Hover. Such a powerful tool for never seeing spam again. A feeling more satisfying than seeing your trash hauled away.

I appreciate what iMore is bringing to the discussion.

Just wish it was easier to post comments here.

I think this is the second time I've been rejected for some arcane reason involving a URL which I do NOT have in my comment, or something dealing with "reputation points," and I've cleared caches, tried 3 different browsers, and still....?

Maybe this will finally post, after a dozen or so attempts, but it's a shame that the code here is either so protective, old, or just wonky that I can't add to the discussion.

BuddyBurrows

Sep 4, 2019
Visit site
@Annie. Thank you for finally getting me an answer on this one! Sounds like the site could use a code refresh with error messages, if not a clear boilerplate statement that threads "more than X years old" will be automatically closed.

As a consumer of data, I wouldn't close an "old" thread as many times I'll find them on Apple's boards and you'll see that the same old issue has resurfaced with one of the latest OS updates or application tweaks. It's very helpful for troubleshooting users to see and respond to the historical data.

But that's just me.

I posted my comment here if Bla1ze wants to add it to the thread I worked so hard comment on. The historical topic was 5-6 times older than the 4 year old thread, so I kept trying... I don't know about other writers, but once I've put any amount of time into writing something for even social media, it's pretty disappointing when it won't post. :concern:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77