Gmail trash gets stuck, have to go to web interface to un-stick it in Mail.app

wrldwzrd89

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
I frequently find myself in a situation where, no matter how many times I empty the trash in Mail.app on Mavericks, trashed mail gets stuck there, invisible. The only way to correct the situation is to go to the web version of Gmail and empty it there. I'm running 10.9.3 and haven't customized Gmail at all.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Well, there's an update (10.9.4) and hopefully, the update will fix the problem for you.

wrldwzrd89

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
I'll apply it when I return home - I'm at work now, away from my Mac - and report back.

EDIT: Applied 10.9.4 update. Problem still there. Sigh.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Last edited:

aballerdotcom

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
Have you tried deleting one of the preference files on your mac to reset the Mail.app?

I remember having this issue on Mavericks. I would try the solution below to see if it helps you.

With the Mail.app quit and using the Finder, go to Home > Library > Mail. Copy the Mail folder and place the copy on the Desktop for backup purposes.

Using the Finder, go to Home > Library > Preferences > com.apple.mail.plist. Delete the com.apple.mail.plist file and empty the Trash.

Note: Moving or deleting the com.apple.mail.plist from the Preferences folder will require re-entering all email account information when re-launching Mail.

The only exception to this is if you have a .Mac account which will be recreated automatically.

Launch Mail and decline any prompt to import mailboxes. After re-entering all email account information the same as before, the Mail.app should rediscover the existing account named folders and mailboxes at Home > Library > Mail.

After confirming all mailboxes were successfully rediscovered, you can delete the copy of the Mail folder from the Desktop.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2