I have a 2TB iCloud Drive plan and I'd really like to use a of it to keep an offsite backup of my files, but I only a 1TB macOS drive.

Because of this, I'd like to move the root iCloud Drive folder from ~/Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs/ to a different, larger drive. Unfortunately, I can't find or figure out how/where to do this (if it's even possible).

Has anyone done this successfully? I'd appreciate any advice!!

Thanks!
    08-15-2021 02:38 PM
    I have a 2TB iCloud Drive plan and I'd really like to use a of it to keep an offsite backup of my files, but I only a 1TB macOS drive.

Because of this, I'd like to move the root iCloud Drive folder from ~/Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs/ to a different, larger drive. Unfortunately, I can't find or figure out how/where to do this (if it's even possible).

Thanks!
    Hello and welcome to to iMore! I don’t have a Mac, so I don’t have any answers for you… I’m sure that others will come along to offer advice.
    08-15-2021 06:20 PM
    I have never tried moving the iCloud Drive folder to another drive, nor would I advise it. macOS expects system storage to be in very specific places, and if they are not, things will break.

You might have some luck with relocating the home folder for the user. But be warned, do this at your own risk on a brand new account. Data loss may occur if not done carefully.

1. In System Preferences, choose Users and Groups
    2. Create a new user, using the + sign at the bottom
    3. Once the account is created, right-click on it and select Advanced Options
    4. Change the Home directory to the bigger drive.

Be aware that you will not be able to login if the drive where the home directory is located on is absent or dismounted. Also, you must avoid ejecting the drive while the computer is powered on, since it might lead to data corruption.
    Annie_M likes this.
    08-15-2021 06:30 PM
    Thanks Ed. I don't want to move my whole profile directory, just relocate the iCloud Drive directory. But thank you for the info.!
    08-16-2021 05:09 AM

Thanks!
    09-09-2021 03:08 PM