Wifi causes mac.local errors

isuquinndog

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Whenever I turn on my wifi with my networked Mac Mini at work, I immediately get errors about computername.local already exists, changing name to computername.local-1.

Then a few seconds later, same thing only that -1 exists and now -2. And so on. It never stops until I turn the wifi off. Any idea what is causing this?

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I've seen the same or similar errors on a Mac Mini. This is on a home network with no Domain or Open Directory or LDAP services.

This Mac Mini only has an active WiFi connection, no active Ethernet wired connectivity.

I searched system logs for "duplicate" and found that the Mini was sent a duplicate IP by a MAC address. I then used a network discovery utility on my iPhone to confirm the MAC address source (was being lazy and didn't want to go to a system with AirPort Utility active/installed). The source, or sending MAC address is the IP address for my AirPort Extreme Router.

So, in my case the router also manages and provides IP addresses to DHCP clients. If the Mini (OS X) detects a duplicate IP on the network, then it may change its host name by appending a -1, etc. This last part is a working guesstimate on my end, and will need to research further to confirm as I'm relatively new to OS X.

In the meantime, suggest submitting a Trouble Ticket to your IT staff. It could be an issue with the corporate DHCP servers or a related infrastructure problem. Your OS X version may also have an issue or bug that could be contributing to the problem.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2