Getting my first MacBook Pro, suggestions

Jo88

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm considering getting a 13" MBP as a graduation present for myself. However, I'm still undecided on which one should I get: the one with 4GB/500GB or maybe paying a little more for the 8GB/750GB model. I would like to use for the basic stuff (web/office/etc) and maybe for a little photo editing. I want a computer that lasts about 6+ years (the Sony I'm using right now it's almost 6 years old, and it still works perfectly), so I wonder if the 8GB one will be better, although my computer with only 1GB/120GB still runs fine, so maybe the 4GB/500GB will last me a long time.

Any help will be appreciated, thanks!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If you're only going to use it for basic stuff then get the 4GB/500GB version. You can always add another 4GB of RAM, if needed and it will probably be cheaper than buying an 8GB model. Furthermore, if what you say holds true, you won't need more than the 500GB of storage.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
The 13" is only dual core. The 15" is quad core. I have used both and it's noticable. The dual core is kind of already dated. If you want it to last 6 years and get best the results with future software and applications, don't buy the 13".

Jo88

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
The 13" is only dual core. The 15" is quad core. I have used both and it's noticable. The dual core is kind of already dated. If you want it to last 6 years and get best the results with future software and applications, don't buy the 13".

The 15" is out of my budget; if the 13" is not worth it I'll probably just end up buying a cheaper Windows laptop.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
The 15" is out of my budget; if the 13" is not worth it I'll probably just end up buying a cheaper Windows laptop.

It's still better than a windows. Major software updates are much cheaper with a Mac. Just want to be straight forward on what your missing by going 13"

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm considering getting a 13" MBP as a graduation present for myself. However, I'm still undecided on which one should I get: the one with 4GB/500GB or maybe paying a little more for the 8GB/750GB model. I would like to use for the basic stuff (web/office/etc) and maybe for a little photo editing. I want a computer that lasts about 6+ years (the Sony I'm using right now it's almost 6 years old, and it still works perfectly), so I wonder if the 8GB one will be better, although my computer with only 1GB/120GB still runs fine, so maybe the 4GB/500GB will last me a long time.

Any help will be appreciated, thanks!

The 8GB/750GB model also has a faster processor... but, based on what you say you'll use it for, that may not be a big deal. There are only 2 slots for RAM, so to upgrade, you'd have to buy 2 4GB sticks... which would set you back somewhere in the neighborhood of $50-$60... you can add that at any time... and you can always bump your hard disk later, too... (there's a place in town that will do a 500GB SSD hybrid for $199; 750GB SSD hybrid for $250 - and that price will continue to drop as time goes by)...

Save the $300 and go with the 4GB/500GB model - that's my advice.

Last edited:

9thWonder

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know if there will be new 13 inch models soon with the thinner profile of the retina devices but without the retina display and wildly expensive price that brings?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
There won't be a redesigned Macbook Pro without the retina display, in fact, i would imagine the current "Non-retina" MBP's will be the last generation of that is "separated" from the retina model.

To be honest, the price difference between the top end 13" MBP and what i would forecast the retina 13" MBP is so insignificant, if you were in the market for either, it would be foolish not to go with the retina model (especially since the price of extremely portable usb storage devices has hit an almost humorous low).

As far as the OP's question, don't bother paying for storage or RAM upgrades at the Apple store, even if you are unfamiliar with how to upgrade these things yourself, paying third party companies to do it for you will still save you an immense amount of money...a 16GB RAM kit and a 1TB hard drive will probably cost less TOGETHER than either one of those upgraded from the Apple store individually.

If you're wanting a computer that stays relevant for that long period of time...get yourself an i7 model, swap out the HDD for an SSD and then replace your optical drive with a large internal HDD (if you need lots of internal storage that is), throw in a 16GB RAM kit and your computer will be blazing for years and years and years (and will be ultimately more reliable because of the nature of solid state memory).

9thWonder

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Yeah for me a couple hundred dollars is far from "insignificant." Even a $50 difference is significant. And honestly, i've used them the current macbook pro side by side with retina one and it's totally not worth extra money in my opinion. A clearer screen is not important to me. Plus it's any gain in clarity is not overly noticable in the store unless you get real close and stare at the thing which i'm never gonna do. From my perspective the benefit from a retina display on a macbook is insignificant.

I was merely interested in the thinner profile, possibly losing the cd drive. Something thin like pc thin and lights but retaining the larger storage hard drive that you dont' get with an macbook air. And i'd prefer it onboard as i'll use it for about 100 gbs of music. I may start djing again too so i need it on the drive not on a thumb drive that can get knocked out. But Also 100+ gb thumbdrives aren't really practical. I'd rather just have a 320 to 500gb internal drive. But we'll see. But retina? For my needs it's burning money as i don't want it. I may look at the samsung and vizio thin and lights instead but we'll see.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
100+ GB thumbdrives? lol...do they even make those? I was referring to external USB drives but hey, if internal is you thing, having an SSD and HDD in there will provide you with lots of immense internal storage (I'm currently running 1TB HDD + 128GB SSD and they still have more options past that).

As far as the insignificant price difference, i just meant in the scheme of things in technology, $200 between the regular MBP's and the retina ones is pretty insignificant, because it's not JUST the retina display that you get (though that is the major draw for certain). I think pricing we are looking at right now is going to be their model for a few years...so the non-retina MBP's might be the one you need to jump on now (but i'd definitely try to get a USB 3 model from this year).

9thWonder

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
oh i see. I don't know even know if they make them. But yeah i got some external drives But i do want the files directly on the laptop drives to save space and not have crap i need to carry if i don't want to.

you have a 1TB internal drive in a macbook pro? Is that after market? I don't need that much. i'm not gonna bring along all my video and when i need to travel and bring movies well then i can lug along my external drive. It'll just be me and nobody will be bumping into it. But if i'm djing i'd prefer not to have all the cables of an external that can snag and get yanked out. plus if i'm taking just the laptop to a coffee shop it's nice to have as few things as possible to lug.

Yeah there's just no value in the retina model for me. For me it's like going to by a Ferrari for $250k that goes 180mph and they say but for an extra $100K you can get the same car but with the engine that goes 200mph. Great, but it's an upgrade i don't want. I'm unlikely to go 180mph let alone 200. I'd leave that for someone else.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, it's a Scorpio Blue 1TB internal...i got it the same week i bought my MBP last year (as SSD's were not really that affordable then). You can get them for under $100 now...so if that is beyond what you need, the 500's and 750's are MUCH cheaper (i think you can get a 500 for like $30 or so.

I still recommend getting an SSD though, it's just an intelligent upgrade that will add value and longevity to your machine (not to mention the performance increase)...the RAM upgrade goes without saying, especially since its so cheap these days.

rdubmu

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I would go for a cheaper windows laptop, then later on, get the 15 inch MacBook maybe in 2-3 years. I usually upgrade my laptops in 5 year periods and always by the lastest and greatest so that it can last long. I have found my Apple Laptops don't last as long as my windows ones, hardware that is. But nothing is better than Apple Care, period.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2