What's a good place for a Mac Noob?

BradM73

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
Hello All!

Well, I just got a new iMac this week, and it's my first Apple computer since my Apple II Plus that my Dad bought when I was just a kid (very fond memories!). But being new to OSX and the Mac ecosystem, I am wondering if you all could recommend some website or other pointers that might help me assimilate more easily.

But I also have a list of questions, which may seem idiotic to some of you, but I respectfully ask that you be easy on me and thank you in advance for any help you may provide.

Now for surfing the web, I seem to have things down for the most part. I still miss the drop-down history in the address bar from Internet Explorer, and dislike the 'hold down the back button' to get the last 30 or so pages visited. BTW, is there any way to delete that history or is it there until they finally drop off the bottom of the back button history? Bookmarks in Safari are a bit more difficult for me to get used to, so I'm just pasting my favorite sites to the quick launch or bookmark bar, whatever it is called.

The e-mail client is a bit strange to use, and it seems to have migrated the e-mail accounts I've added into one giant inbox, instead of separating them out by accounts like I would prefer. Any info on how to better use the mail client would be much appreciated.

Finder... I'm guessing this is kind of like Windows Explorer on Windows? Seems like it is, but wasn't 100% sure. I'm trying to figure it all out, and trying to make connections with things that seem similar, but the file system seems a slight bit different here.

What exactly IS mission control? Just a multiple desktop manager? Or something more that I'm missing?

When I view myself in my webcam in Photobooth, or generally in other applications like Skype or Yahoo Messenger, why is the video flipped? For example, the text on my shirt reads backward on the screen. Any idea what's causing that?

I'm sure I'll continue to have a few hundred trillion questions, but again, if there is a general website for helping people get used to their new Macs, please let me know!!

Thanks!!!

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I never used IE on my pc, and only use Safari as a 3rd choice on my Mac. My first choice is Chrome, with Firefox being number 2. I used only Firefox on my pc for years. You might try Chrome and see if you're more comfortable with that.

I had also used Thunderbird for my email, and used it on my Mac until Lion. I have finally comfortably switched to Mail - but I set up each account as new, and did not migrate. I tried migrating the first time and got what you see - it was a disaster. Now I have my main mailboxes at the top, with the accounts underneathe, and am very happy.

Finder is like Explorer...but different. File management is just different between OSX and Windows. It will take you time to get used to it. I deleted many files before realizing that when you search for something, it can show you the file 4 times, but there's only actually 1 copy of it. Ugh.

Mission Control is like a launcher. Some people love it, some hate it. I feel that if it could replace the default desktop, it'd be great. But if you have to launch it every time, it's worthless.

Not sue why your webcam is reversed - probably a setting in there you checked by accident.

It shouldn't take you more than 3-4 months to feel completely comfortable with your Mac. (And don't forget to check out this week's Pick of the Week on the front page where I've chosen a must have Mac app.)

P0stalTek

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Actually, mission control is more like an advanced alt tab or windows key tab. It allows you robust multitasking and desktop management.

Launchpad is the app launcher I believe Alli was referring to which gives an iOS feel to launching apps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Actually, mission control is more like an advanced alt tab or windows key tab. It allows you robust multitasking and desktop management.

Launchpad is the app launcher I believe Alli was referring to which gives an iOS feel to launching apps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh right, right. I never remember which is which. Launchpad is the worthless one. Mission control allows you multiple desktops. That is kinda neat.