Don’t understand Apple

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I was curious about the worth of my early edition 2015 which I purchased brand new in Feb 2016. It is in PERFECT physical condition as well as in PRFECT working condition. It looks BRAND NEW. A month ago I had gone on apple.com and they said it would be a 300 trade in on it. I know I can get more for it if I were to sell it.
But last night I decided to inquire again and the time, said no value and they would gladly just recycle it. I am confused as to why.

I take excellent care of my gadgets and that just floored me.

A friend of mine was here and her mouth dropped when she saw that too. Like I said, it was a shock.

I thought it would hold its value. I know it is a 2015 but it works without any lag and looks the same as the day I purchased it. I case it and there is also a covering on the keyboard.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately trade in programs only benefit carriers and tech companies

I’ve had great track record selling my used tech on eBay and as you stated your devices are well cared for you would most likely get way more than any trade in would ever give you

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I was curious about the worth of my early edition 2015 which I purchased brand new in Feb 2016. It is in PERFECT physical condition as well as in PRFECT working condition. It looks BRAND NEW. A month ago I had gone on apple.com and they said it would be a 300 trade in on it. I know I can get more for it if I were to sell it.
But last night I decided to inquire again and the time, said no value and they would gladly just recycle it. I am confused as to why.

I take excellent care of my gadgets and that just floored me.

A friend of mine was here and her mouth dropped when she saw that too. Like I said, it was a shock.

I thought it would hold its value. I know it is a 2015 but it works without any lag and looks the same as the day I purchased it. I case it and there is also a covering on the keyboard.

In this instance, Apple wants to be the seller, not the buyer.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Don’t touch manufacturer buy back programmes, you already pay too much for most tech, don’t let them catch you on the way out as well !!

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
Ignore Apple's trade-in value as that represents the least amount possible and not to your benefit. I did mine just for kicks and can only fetch $880 for my 2017 MacBook Pro which is a joke. But I understand your shock though. Just know it doesn't represent the true value of your MacBook per the market.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I do not know which "gadget" you are talking about but am encountering articles in many places, particularly in the last few days that Apple employees are instructed to promote (push?) "upgrades" rather than "trade-in" or repair/service (I am talking about the iPhone gadget).
When Apple said "trade-in", I do not think they are taking it for recycling. I am sure they have a contract with one or more of the regular resellers (what' their name, I forgot) to sell it t a profit. Apple's trade-in value is ridiculous (and low enough for resellers to make decent money and still allows Apple to cut their portion). There is no way Apple does anything in any form or shape to reduce their profit.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I do not know which "gadget" you are talking about but am encountering articles in many places, particularly in the last few days that Apple employees are instructed to promote (push?) "upgrades" rather than "trade-in" or repair/service (I am talking about the iPhone gadget).
When Apple said "trade-in", I do not think they are taking it for recycling. I am sure they have a contract with one or more of the regular resellers (what' their name, I forgot) to sell it t a profit. Apple's trade-in value is ridiculous (and low enough for resellers to make decent money and still allows Apple to cut their portion). There is no way Apple does anything in any form or shape to reduce their profit.

Please use the quote feature when replying so readers know to whom you’re replying. Thanks.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
I have a 2017 15” MBP that I inquired about trading in to Apple a couple of months ago. They told me about $ 1500 for it. Paid about $3000 for it. I still have it.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I was showing a friend of mine today how well my Mac works compared to her HP and she is thinking about making the switch. I told her I was lucky if a PC lasted me two years. I

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I told her I was lucky if a PC lasted me two years.

Seriously? I have a 3+ year old Dell Latitude E5440 and a 5+ year old Dell Precision M4700, both with maxed out ram, SSD's and running Windows 10, and both run great. And I use the M4700 to play Warcraft.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I had the worse luck with two HP’s and I took care of them and updated when got the notifications. My Mac has been trouble free. Never an issue

rdubmu

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I was showing a friend of mine today how well my Mac works compared to her HP and she is thinking about making the switch. I told her I was lucky if a PC lasted me two years. I

All computers break. If anything MACs are worst off with the new butterfly keyboards than PCs. They all use the same components for the most part. My thinkpad x1 Carbon 3rd gen is 4 years old now and runs great. I did replace the battery 2 months ago. I was still getting 4 hours out of the old battery. New battery I am getting about 7-8 hours. My new X1 yoga (2018) for work gets about 9-11 hours of battery and my MacBook Pro 2018 15 inch gets about 7-8 hours.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Seriously? I have a 3+ year old Dell Latitude E5440 and a 5+ year old Dell Precision M4700, both with maxed out ram, SSD's and running Windows 10, and both run great. And I use the M4700 to play Warcraft.

I’ll one up you.
My current PC I built myself.
It runs on Intel i7 720 with 4GB of ram (used to be 6).
Everything except for the hard drives are at least 10 years old now.
It still runs great, even on windows 10.