Switch from mid-2011 iMac to 2015 MacBookPro 13'' retina base-model, any advice?

vegas2014

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
Switch from mid-2011 iMac to 2015 MacBookPro 13'' retina base-model

I would like to buy the 13'' MacBook Pro with Retina Display base model (128 gb ssd\8GB ram) and i want to hear some advice about it!

right now i have a mid-2011 iMac 2,5 GHz with 12 GB of ram, the retina macbook would be a good replacement (mostly in terms of ram) or should i buy a more equipped version?

thanks

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Switch from mid-2011 iMac to 2015 MacBookPro 13'' retina base-model

1. Are you considering the MacBook Pro because of portability?
2. Do you need more than the iMac you currently have?
3. The MacBook Pro you mentioned should be more than sufficient, in my opinion, but if you can get 16 GBs of RAM, that would be even better.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site

I think you will be disappointed by the storage space in the 128 GB model. It is very slim and you will fill it up fast. Apps for OS X are much larger than apps for iOS. If you're interested in storing media locally, HD video and audio take up a ton of space as well.

Depending on what you do with your computer, a new Pro will probably seem faster than an older iMac thanks to the flash memory used in the MacBooks. Storage space is a lot smaller but load times are very quick. It's unlikely you'll miss the extra 4 GB of RAM but if you frequently multi-task or use memory intense apps (Logic Pro with lots of plugins, virtual machines, etc.) you may notice the MacBook not keeping up the way the iMac can under heavy load.

If your iMac is a quad-core CPU, you are potentially giving up significant CPU performance (Quad-Core Sandy Bridge still compares favorably to dual-core Broadwell). Again though, it depends on what you are doing. Basic tasks (office work, web browsing, media) require so little CPU power that a dual-core is just as useful as a quad-core CPU.

Channan

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site

If you realize you need more storage after you go with the 128GB model, you can always go with something like the Nifty MiniDrive (below is a link to another brand for $25) and a 128GB microSD card for about $50 to store media on without something sticking out from the side of your computer.

http://www.amazon.com/BASEQI-alumin...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUimUvbUpU2671633

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2