I am new to the macbook pro but I installed OS X Yosemeti 10.3 last night. I have many movies on my external hard drive and watch almost all of them on my windows Pc. The player on the mac wont play but a few. I usually would find a codec pack for windows to help but I don't know if it's the same for apple . Can some one help me on this one. THANKS!

Also I was running 10.7.4 until last night and let me say, I do believe it runs quite a bit better with this upgrade. Until I learn how to put windows 8.1 on here I need to be able to watch a movie or 2 when I'm bored at work. But putting windows on will come real soon, like hopefully tommorow!!
    06-28-2015 09:19 PM
    You could convert the movies to a format compatible with the Mac. I use Free MP4 Converter.
    C.K400 likes this.
    06-28-2015 09:34 PM
    You could convert the movies to a format compatible with the Mac. I use Free MP4 Converter.

That would be very time consuming as I have over a hundred. They are a variety of files. Would be easier just to have one player play all the files. On my windows pc I just put the codec pack on the media player and it played them all except for the VOB files.
    06-28-2015 09:46 PM
    That would be very time consuming as I have over a hundred. They are a variety of files. Would be easier just to have one player play all the files. On my windows pc I just put the codec pack on the media player and it played them all except for the VOB files.
    Are you going to watch a hundred movies at work?
    06-28-2015 09:54 PM
    LOL over time I will and I rent quite a few redbox movies also. But no not all at once. So I just google free mp4 converter and down load it on to my mac and then start converting?
    06-28-2015 09:59 PM
    Well I tried this one but it said the file was not supported to buy the pro version. It was an .AVI witch it said in the description it would convert with the free version. I wonder what went wrong.

MacX Video Converter Free Edition - Free Video Converter for Mac to Free Convert MP4 MKV M2TS AVCHD AVI FLV on Mac iPhone iPad Android
    06-28-2015 10:41 PM
    I am new to the macbook pro but I installed OS X Yosemeti 10.3 last night. I have many movies on my external hard drive and watch almost all of them on my windows Pc. The player on the mac wont play but a few. I usually would find a codec pack for windows to help but I don't know if it's the same for apple . Can some one help me on this one. THANKS!

Also I was running 10.7.4 until last night and let me say, I do believe it runs quite a bit better with this upgrade. Until I learn how to put windows 8.1 on here I need to be able to watch a movie or 2 when I'm bored at work. But putting windows on will come real soon, like hopefully tommorow!!
    The "go to" app for video playback on the Mac is VLC.

VideoLAN - Official Download of VLC media player for OS X
    C.K400 likes this.
    06-28-2015 10:43 PM
    The "go to" app for video playback on the Mac is VLC.

VideoLAN - Official Download of VLC media player for OS X

So I should just download the VLC player for mac and not try to convert anything?
    06-28-2015 10:45 PM
    So I should just download the VLC player for mac and not try to convert anything?
    That's how I roll. Why do go through the hassle when it is totally unnecessary?

It's absolutely free, so there's no risk or cost involved.
    C.K400 likes this.
    06-28-2015 10:46 PM
    That's how I roll. Why do go through the hassle when it is totally unnecessary?

It's absolutely free, so there's no risk or cost involved.

HankAZ!! You are the man, I just downloaded it and its playing all my movies!! Saweeet! That's exactly what I was looking for. Now If I can just figure out how to change the name on here so when it creates a folder to store a file in from a program it doesn't say the previous owners name even tho I completely removed them as a user?!?
    06-28-2015 10:58 PM